Thursday 17 February 2011

Cloudy!

That's what today's weather forecast says on a local website. That's it, just that one word. LOL Mind you, it's not wrong.
When I asked recently what it is you like about my blog and what you'd like to see here, many of you commented that you liked it when I take my camera along with me on my walks. With that in mind I took my camera along today when I scooted out to get milk. Rather than just going next door but one to the closest shop, I took a detour and went to a shop a little farther away, stopping to take pictures of course. I think most towns have their tired, worn out places, and Ramsey is no exception. We used to have a very busy harbour and regular markets. Not the trendy farmers markets we see today. Once a week the town used to take on some good country smells as the cattle mart took place. I think it was a Thursday? Anyway, those markets no longer take place here in town and the old mart buildings are abandoned. As I stopped to take the pictures I wondered what this place is like in the summer.
All those buddleia must attract a plethora of butterflies and other insect life.
It must be a little nature reserve, very close to the centre of town. Children have of course made the old cattle pens their own and the place is strewn with the remainder of old dens and rubbish, but I will go back on a warm sunny day to see who else plays there.
Another stop with my camera was the harbour side. Below the bridge is the quiet port of Ramsey, where the fishing boats and a couple of freight vessels come and go with the tides. You can see the crane for loading and unloading and the tops of the warehouses.
Above the bridge is where the pleasure craft and hobby fishing craft are moored. There is also a small working shipyard. The harbour has two arms above the bridge. The one you see here goes up river, under a road bridge and into a nature reserve. I was on the harbour side today just at high tide. There was a brisk breeze blowing which had a bit of a bite to it so I didn't linger. The cold damp air makes my hips ache, but I vowed to carry my camera more often and to take more detours.
*
I'd left veggie soup bubbling gently on the stove and came home to wonderful smells. I'm making huge pans of soups and broths every week now, sometimes twice. They are instant easy meals when I work late shifts, I take a portion to work for my meal, no matter what shift I'm working. Now if I could just convince Tony that he doesn't need a half a loaf of bread with it......
*
I'm nearly finished the shocking pink cardigan, I started knitting up the button bands last night, then I get to knit a bag. I friend and colleague of mine makes the most beautiful cards and has agreed to trade with me. :-) We did this once before, I love her cards. I'm off to stir the soup cauldron and knit.


6 comments:

Jenny said...

So nice to see photos of "your place". The old fashioned markets in their time would have been a sight to see, no doubt.
Like you, I'm a great fan of home made soups! Have to wait for colder weather here in NZ, we are still enjoying summer.

Ali Honey said...

I love the harbour photo Lou and yourdescription of it was quite poetic.
You can't beat tasty hot soup for comfort, but I'm with Tony some crusty bread just tops it off.

Chookyblue...... said...

I have a camera on me most of the time........you just never know what you'll see...........

Jewells said...

I can nearly smell that soup bubbling away... makes me want some now..however it is way too hot for soup at the moment in Australia..cheers...

Janice said...

I remember eating scrummy fish and chips sitting along there and checking out all the interesting boats. Hopefully will again soon. It certainly looks like soup weather. I'm glad you are sharing your out and about photos again.

Nicky said...

Lovely pics, there aren't many markets like that left anywhere now, they were always such fun though!