Monday, 22 May 2017

Lots of itty bits.

Sorry I missed out on posting last week. I had issues!
Which meant not much worth posting.
What did I have issues with? The Kiwi quilt. I have decided that it is jinxed!
When I bought the kit, the fabrics included were not the bright quirky kiwiana fabrics pictured on the packet, or shown on the model in the shop.
I had issues getting the final block to go together nicely, then when I was finally ready to quilt it, I had to unpick not once but twice!! I had a serious issue with cuckoos nesting on the back!
Anyway, here it is, finally quilted and ready for me to close the binding.
I just need to make it a label. It's gong to be renamed...
Kiwi'argh'na!
I have several itty bits of housework to do today, so once I had the binding on to the kiwi quilt I got on and did one or two of those.
Next up will be some more Bitty stars. These are so sweet and quick to make.
I came across a beautiful scrap quilt on pinterest.
All made up in rows of bitty blocks.
My stars will be joining the bitty bow ties I made last week.
Look here to see the inspiration. You have to scroll all the way down to see a completed top. I have ordered the book, but meanwhile I'm pottering on using the links available on the page.
The plan is to trade off itty bits of housework, with itty bitty stars.
Then later today I'll sit down and make some more itty bitty stitches in St Basils.
This has grown quite a bit recently and I'm pleased with my progress.
I'm hoping that I can maintain interest long enough to get it finished and then continue to cross stitch long enough to get a Christmas gift completed and framed in time.....
Wish me luck with that.

Thursday, 11 May 2017

Not Two, but Three Finishes!

But only two of them are mine!
Remember on Monday I said that another sew along had taken place over the weekend, but I had no pictures from Claire?
Well here it is. I gather that this one has been a wip for a wee while.
Finished at last. It was made using the 'x block' ruler.
Oh boy! Those colours really POP on the black background.
All the off cuts from making the angled cuts went into the binding. Claire hates to waste anything and will use up even the tiniest of scraps.
With some encouragement (Nagging) Claire even made a quilt label using the alphabet function on her sewing machine. Doesn't it look great?
*
So, onto my efforts for the last couple of days!
Spring Sprouts is now a complete top.
I just need to settle on a quilt design and get it onto the frame.
Beautifully bombed by Belle!!
For those who need to know, this is a batik applique quilt kit from Laundry Basket Quilts and the colours are much stronger and prettier in real life. I took this photo at night with daylight lamps and a forced flash!
(It's pinned onto a previously finished quilt that is hanging in my hall as I don't have room for a design wall. So the animal prints are not part of it! LOL).
*
My next and very quick finish is a Kiwiana kit I picked up a few weeks ago on a trip to Geraldine. I was a little disappointed with the fabrics supplied in the kit and swapped some of them out.
Again, not the best picture as it was also taken at night. 
I'm delighted with how quickly this one went together. So another one ready for quilting.
*
I have several ideas for new projects and one or two that I should perhaps revisit.


Monday, 8 May 2017

More Sunday sewing

There was no road trip this weekend, but there was some wonderful sewing.
Debbie joined me at my place this time and made use of my quilting frame.
I think she had fun.
There were certainly lots of smiles.
This beautiful quilt was finished with an all over meander. This was the first time Debbie had ever tried quilting on a frame.

I am delighted for her. Just the binding left to do. Debbie plans a scrappy style of binding, using up the off cuts from the top.
Like me, Debbie has more than one crafty project on the go.
Her other current project is a crochet blanket. Inspired by the various versions of 'Flowers in snow' that she has seen on the internet she set off using up a bag of yarn scraps that she admitted she would probably have thrown away this time last year! LOL

This is going to be a very pretty blanket.
*
So while Debbie was doing all of that, what you may ask did I do?
I was there in a supporting role for Debbie. Helping with bobbin changes and resetting the frame when it was time, but I was also able to plod on slowly with my Spring Sprouts.
I made a start on stitching my blocks together into rows.
I'm about halfway done with that now and plan to do a little more later today.
I have to say, I have been thinking about how to quilt this one. An all over meander seems wrong.
Am I brave enough, and ready to try some simple custom quilting? Those star rows certainly will need something pretty.
*
Claire is still working on applique diamonds for her compass quilt.
No progress pics yet.
*
 I'm off on a solo shopping trip today. I have one particular fabric that I need to purchase and none of the three shops we visited last week had it in stock!!
I probably won't be ready to start that particular project for a few weeks, but you know how it is.....
I NEED it and I NEED it now! LOL
*
I hope you had a lovely weekend of sewing too. 

Wednesday, 3 May 2017

I think he likes it!

M'boy finally came to see me and to meet his new quilt. I think he likes it.
We all know the cat likes it!!
Progress has continued slowly since Sundays marathon sewing effort.
I had fun in the sun on Monday laying out batik pieces and deciding what colour to put where.
Before starting the next cutting process.
I now have a bunch of pieces with pretty corner triangles all waiting to be joined into rows.
maybe I'll do that tomorrow.
*