Thursday 1 April 2010

New Start, on an Old Favourite.

I do hope my DD realises how lucky she is! I'm parting with some of my favourite Figgy Fabrics all in the interests of keeping her warm! This is a beautiful Mill House Inn layer cake preparing to become yet another version of French Roses.
Here's round one all ready to be sewn. I'm varying the pattern a little this time and making a bigger quilt. The two I have done already are throw size, just nice for snuggling under on the sofa, this one will be much bigger and not all the blocks will have roses. I've separated out the darker fabrics for the lower rounds of petals. I'm hoping to get a bunch of them sewn today before going to work.
*
These pictures really don't do the fabrics the justice they deserve. The problem with living up where I do is that the sunlight reflects off the white buildings across the road and causes an awful glare in the room where I sew. The back room is no better as the sun just shines right in there so often my pictures look very washed out.
My eye was caught by this bundle of off cuts from the first round of roses, so pretty, it seemed a shame to throw it away, but the pieces are so tiny, I really wouldn't use them.
*
I've been having a think about the butterfly Fling blocks. I have another Jelly Roll of the same fabric and think I may make up a second, different set of blocks, then mix and match the two to make a pair of quilts. Any suggestions about what would look nice with the current blocks? (Last post, more poor quality photography.)
*
Did I tell you I ordered more Figgy goodness? The Fresh Cottons Fat Quarter Collection is on it's way to me. :-)
*
Winter returned with a vengeance yesterday. The north of Britain was warned to expect more of the white stuff, but we thought we would be safe from it here on our island. WRONG! My bus got snowed in on my way to the office yesterday! An RTA ahead and people trying to turn around blocked the road and blizzards caused the whole east of the island to stop for a few hours! Fortunately there were only a few of us on the bus and we were rescued by 4WD vehicles behind us as they were able to move about. Our bus was going nowhere and we were freezing. Today as my wishy washy photography suggests, we are back to blue skies, beaming sunshine and some very sorry and battered looking spring flowers.
*
I'm off to sew. Take care.

11 comments:

Jane said...

We've managed to miss the worst of the snow, but it is a lot colder than it has been for a couple of weeks. Have a happy sewing day

Karen said...

The Mill House will make a very pretty French Roses quilt. Fig Tree fabrics are always good!

Lurline said...

Oh, no - when will winter pass up your way! Enjoy Easter, Loulee!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Allie said...

I love those French Roses! This will be beautiful! I did see that Britain got hit - yipes. Glad you got out of the bus safely!

Deb said...

Fresh Cottons -yummy such nice fabrics are all of Fig Tree's. That French Roses pattern is such fun to make and so quick (she says still waiting to sandwich hers!!)
Can't wait to see progress
hugs Deb

Kris said...

Love those blocks! I love butterfly fling too. Your blocks from the last post are gorgeous!

Janice said...

You've had more than your fair share of the white stuff this winter. Hopefully that will be the last of it. I'm sure Kaye will love her quilt and appreciate your sacrifice. The fabrics are lovely.

AnnieO said...

I love the Mill House Inn line. I may have to get a jelly roll of it myself. DD Erica picked one of the fabrics from that line to use in her quilt. It's got that bluey green background--what would you call that shade?

I know it is hard to throw away the scraps, but there's only so much that can be saved and used!

Justflo said...

Some lovely patterns there. Enjoy

Lynda said...

We just got a hail-storm and lots of rain. Luckier than you. I love the French Roses pattern - those colours look fabulous!

sewkalico said...

We had a day of on-off snow last week too. Hurry up Spring!