Monday 4 September 2017

You better grab a cuppa!

I hope you are sitting comfortably, with your cuppa. I have loads to show and tell this week.
But first, something I didn't do. After vowing to make one Christmas ornament a week, I didn't make one this week! I'll get onto that later today. I haven't been idle though.
I finished another of my bitty rows. I had been calling the bitty houses row Coronation Street.
 But now that they are done, they look more like British beach huts.
 I love em!
 I went out last week with Claire and bought fabrics for sash, borders and binding for the bitty quilt. 
After I had finished with the beach huts, I couldn't resist starting to put it all together.
You can see the colours I chose for the borders and binding to the right in the photo below.
I'm tempted to call time on this one. There are two more rows to make if I follow the pattern, but I've already made changes so I'll see how it looks with the current rows all joined.
 Also in the above image, my batik Irish chain top. I started that way back on the Isle of Man in 2013
I did fiddle with it in 2014 but put it all away again. Well out it came last week and I had another little play. I had and still do have issues with getting all of those little pieces to line up nicely. I've been contemplating it a lot recently. Sometimes I think I should just get it all together as best I can and get it onto my frame, other times I think maybe I should quilt as I go for each block. More thinking required I think. That's a lot of thinks! 
I couldn't settle to anything yesterday and spent some time just pottering.  Recently Maria and I exchanged emails discussing all those tiny pieces that get cut off when we sew 45 degree seams. She suggested that we find a way to use them up. I have two little bundles of said triangles, the first bundle is of batiks. Yesterday while pottering I came across four packs of coffee and cream charm squares, that I purchased many years ago and I really cannot remember what I was going to do with them. You know how it is right?
 Well out they came and two ideas came together. Obviously not a single stitch was made yet and, I'm not making any promises, or stating any facts here you understand, but this just might be how some of them come together. LOL
And when I had finished dreaming about stars, I came across some leftovers from another project and decided to put them together, with a piece of red that was lurking in the strips bin. 
Yes, I know it is an odd shape, sadly  I couldn't find a scrap of chocolaty fabric quite big enough to make another triangle and there is just not quite enough red to square it up. I'll have a look about today and see if I can come up with something for another border and square it up that way, or I may just leave it as it is. 
*
On Saturday I pulled my Spring Sprouts top out, along with it's backing and batting. I finished the top in May of this year and  I have been dithering ever since. I really want to get it finished. I love it and can't wait to display it. The reason I dither is because I'm afraid that I may ruin it, especially if I try to quilt it on the frame. I talked with Claire on Saturday evening and she had the simple solution, don't put it on the frame!! Stitch in the ditch! Simple. Why didn't I think of that?
 Well I have this huge quilting frame, I made a fuss and begged and pleaded with Santa, after waiting for a few years I eventually got my wish and now, I feel guilty as I have barely used it. 
I had a talk with Santa on Sunday morning and he told me he understood my dilemma, He is so very good and very supportive. He even kept Belle occupied while I pinned the layers. Little rascal was fascinated by the shiny wee objects. I need a trip to the shop today to find just the right thread, then I'll dig out my walking foot, or maybe accept Claires offer to borrow her ditch foot. 
Time to quilt.
 *
Away from all of that drama!
I've been very slowly pecking away at my latest crochet project. I keep saying I will add an image of it, so here it is. Not terribly exciting.
I've a few more bands of the two shades to add, then I'll do a simple border and call it done.
And the cross stitch time that should have been spent on a Christmas ornament was spent on Spring Queen. There still really isn't much to see.
This one may take a while.
Right, you should have finished your cuppa by now, and I've blathered enough for one day, time I move myself and get on with my day. It's going to be busy.

Thanks for sticking with me to the end, enjoy your day.


3 comments:

Janice said...

You're spoiled for choice with all your projects. The little houses do look like beach huts and the sashing colour gives the whole quilt a seaside look. It really is coming together nicely. Everything else is looking good too. Have fun playing.

Jenny said...

You have been busy indeed! I love the neutral squares with the coloured corners - what a great idea. And those little bitty beach huts are so cute.

Deb said...

Wow Lou, you have most certainly been busy. I absolutely adore your Little rows quilt. The beach huts have won my heart, they are so cute. The colours you have chosen for borders etc look fabulous and just pull it all together wonderfully.
Looks like you have heaps of ideas in progress-true quilter style, good on you.
Have fun deciding what you are going to do.