Friday, 10 February 2012

I sewed and sewed and sewed.

And I quilted too!!
Let me tell you all about it. As soon as I had finished here yesterday I scooted up to my play room all happy with the world. I pulled out the box of fabric pieces I had prepared. Lots of little strips all 6 inches wide neatly pressed and ready to be sewn on to some foundations. The foundations are made up from the linings out of all those curtain samples I was given .......way back. As I sewed, I admired all my fabrics and remembered their history. 
Aah, this red was off Joe's Dragon quilt.
Pretty pink.
Tracey sent me this purple.
I love these flowers.
Hehe, that came in a dodgy bundle, nearly gone now.
Pretty flowers, left overs from a swap.
I love this pink.
I always did love this paisley, but could never find a use for it, such a pretty pink.
I used these flowers to make my sister a make up bag.
Butterflies! I covered my work diary with these.
Fluffy bunnies, his brother was so cross about those.
This one had 'Income Tax Colours' in the selvedge. I used it to line big bro's laundry basket, I thought he'd get a kick out of throwing his smalls at the tax man! LOL
The more I worked on it, the more I began to think that this just isn't the right quilt for my boy!! Far too many flowers and fluffy creatures. I kept on going until all the foundations were filled up, which also turned out to be lunch time. :-)

 I thought about it over a bite to eat and decided to return to plan A, which I abandoned some time ago as things were just not going according to plan.
You do not get to see a picture of that! Anyway, I dug out the box and had a look through it. A collection of rescued fabrics, all cut from clothing and all different weights but all blue, or blueish. I bought a pack when I was at the Festival of Quilts last year. I intended all along to make something for Jiffy, but as I said, plan A didn't work. I pulled out my trusty ripper and away I ripped. It didn't take long, I hadn't gotten far. 

I had a rummage about in my own drawer of rescued fabrics and added a few pieces to the pile. Then I sewed and sewed and sewed again. By the time my Hunney came home for his dinner I had finished. It was passed the flimsy stage and was all layered and pinned and waiting to be quilted. I got to put the walking foot onto my Janome for the first time. 
Fantastic.
What a breeze. :-)
I had the whole quilt quilted and the binding on in just over 90 minutes. Just simple straight lines which echo the long seams.Then I closed the binding by hand in front of the TV with my Hunney.
For the back I have used a burgundy coloured bed sheet, which mother acquired for me. There was even enough to use the same fabric to bind. 
Ta, Dah! Plan C.

I have a friend visiting today. She coming to dig through my knitting patterns. 
I have a crochet plan for this afternoon, but it should take only minutes to do, even for a novice like me.
Then I have another date with Jenny Janome.

6 comments:

Miss 376 said...

Wow, that was quick. Hope he likes it

Diane-crewe said...

well done you, love it when it all comes together and WORKS xx

AnnieO said...

Two wonderful projects flying out from your needle! Congrats on the rescue--Plan C looks terrific.

Ali Honey said...

Now that was a productive day!
Both colour ways look good.
Here's to many more such good days!!

Jenny said...

Haven't you had a busy time!

Yes, I think the blue is much more manly than the floral blocks.

Isn't it great though that looking at those little left over pieces of fabric bring back such happy memories!

Gari said...

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together. Looks great.