Wednesday 8 February 2017

Using things up!

Well us crafters, we're not wasteful are we?
So I've been using things up.
Way back in 2013 I made a king size crochet blanket using blue and cream yarns. It started out with a bunch of granny squares. But I changed my mind and found that I had made too many and stashed them away, for another time/project. The yarn was a wool/acrylic blend. Something I haven't seen here in NZ. Mind you, I didn't look very hard! (Why would I with all of this 100% wool yarn available?)
Anyway, there was just enough of it left to make up this wee blanket. It's a good size to snuggle on the sofa, or maybe pop onto a toddler bed. I slightly misjudged how much yarn was left and ended up with one cream panel wider than the other! 
Which seriously messes with my OCD!
Even more than the tippy squares!
LOL
But I will live with it.
I have no particular use in mind for this one yet, so it will go in the 'someday' pile and find a new home, when ever that day is.
Of course a finish means a start.
The next little collection of yarn is from another huge project, which I finished back in September 2012.  It was my first major crochet project and I loved it. I still do, in fact, it's on our bed right now.
Of course there were left overs and they were saved up for later use.
This yarn is recycled denim cotton.
There is only a small amount left, but again, hopefully enough to make a wee baby sized blanket, just enough to pop over some small person in a pram or bassinet.
We'll see.
It too will go into the 'some day' pile!
I made a start over the weekend.
Just a simple granny ripple.
Loving it.
And from left overs, to a glut!
Our tomatoes have gone mad.
We're not exactly having salad weather every day and the super cheesy crust on my tomato tart isn't good for our waistlines, so I better find another way to get through all of this fruit!
What you see below is just one days worth! There will be the same again later today!
Time to start making and freezing tomato sauces.
I made so much last year, we only just used up the last pot!
I have used it up in spag bol, lasagna, chicken and pasta bakes! You name it, we cooked and ate it.
I even thickened some up a lot more, and used it on pizzas. 
YUM!
If anybody wants me today, I'll be somewhere between the stove and my crochet? Cross stitch? Sewing room? 
Hmmm, I wonder where my muse will take me?
What ever you're doing, have fun today.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Make some tomatoe soup - it's delicious and you can pack it away in the freezer till winter. And so easy that even I can make it!

Raewyn said...

Very satisfying to tidy up those scraps lying around and make something useful into the bargain...I like the quirkyness of the Granny Square Blanket! It's not quite as hot for us up here today so I hope it's not too hot in your kitchen for doing those tomatoes!

Anonymous said...

i love home grown produce,wow your crochet is beautiful Loulee.

Janice said...

Well done on using your stash.....it makes room for more yarn in the future doesn't it. I picked about that many tomatoes today, but we only have 2 plants fruiting, so not that much every day. I think I need to get out Grandma's recipe for Tomato Sauce and find where I stashed my box of sauce bottles.