Wednesday 6 February 2008

Trailing Hearts.

Finally some quilty content! I finished my little Trailing Hearts quilt.

All I needed to do was decide which fabric I wanted to use to add those extra panels on the sides then quilt and bind it.
I've made this one for a colleague who is due to have her baby in just a few weeks. Of course we don't know what she's getting so I wanted something unisex, this has blues, pinks and greens, I think it's a safe enough mix, especially as the blues and pinks are in pastel shades. I do have some of that blue inner border fabric left, I could have done the extra side panels in that, but felt that would have been too muc blue if she were to have a girl, so stuck with the greeny, bluey, purply colour.

I've wadded it with a piece of fleece and boy is it cosy, I was lovely and warm when it was in my lap last night while I closed up the binding. I've stuck to very simple quilting, following the line of the borders and one simple line around the large heart in the centre panel. I know it's not as flat as it could be, I read on someones blog yesterday about a trick which may help me to overcome that.
I don't do those big fancy labels I've seen some of you use, but it does have a small tag style label, (Just out of shot) which says 'Handmade With Love By Loulee'. I put those on all of my handmades. I do hope my colleague likes it.

Not sure what I'm going to do next. I haven't touched my scrap club stuff for a while, my Katies choice has two new blocks all cut waiting for my attention and the kit Hunney bought me for Christmas is calling to me. Oh! Yeah! DD wants a quilt, I could put together a quick charm or turning twenty (Nine) style top and back it with fleece.

Decisions, decisions.............



8 comments:

Lynda said...

This quilt is gorgeous! I think you've successfully solved the boy/girl colour problem with the pastels, and the borders really work well. The fleece backing is the perfect final touch!

Janet said...

Oh Loulee, it's so pretty...you did a wonderful job!

Unknown said...

Your baby quilt has turned out beautifully - those pale green panels finish it off perfectly!

Michael5000 said...

Oh, hey! That's quite good! Nice work with the applique...

mereth said...

I'm sure the quilt will be loved and appreciated, it looks so soft and pretty. Sounds like you're settling in well and the new place looks nice and light, very important to a handcrafter.

black bear cabin said...

your quilt is very pretty...the green borders really pulled out the colors and brought out your design. :)
dont worry about the back...it looks cuddly to me :)
and as for trying a new basting technique...did you see the one on lyndas site she mentioned? im looking forward to tryin that one out myself, as my backings usually look the same :)
cheers~
lisajo

Shirley Goodwin said...

Well done! and isn't is hard to decide which of your many projects to do next?

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Well done..and with shifting and everything!
The new place looks cosy already...the gorgeous wedding ring quilt on the bed helps! I have tagged you, check my blog! Tracey