Tuesday 13 June 2023

A day out with Debbie.

 It's been a long time since Debbie and I had a bit of a day out together, we kept saying we must do it, but never found the right time. 
Until today. 
I picked Debbie up bright and early at 9am and we were off!
We had an appointment booked with Cathy at the quilting shed. She opens by appointment only at the moment and is the final weeks of business. So sad that she is closing, such a loss to the quilting community here in NZ. Cathy is a lovely lady, very knowledgeable and helpful With only three weeks of business left her sales are getting bigger and better almost by the day. The shop once packed full almost to bursting is still well stocked I have to say, but pretty bare by Cathy's standards. I didn't have a shopping list and arrived with an open mind. Though if I saw some quilting threads......
There was a whole table full of large off cuts and smaller end of bolts. I grabbed this extra wide batik from there and I'm sure Debbie found one or two pieces of Kaffe.
I did find some quilting thread, though there wasn't much left to choose from.
And finally for me, two rulers.
No books to go with them, but I'm sure the internet will provide lots of inspiration.
Debbie found more Kaffe fabrics to add to her small collection, she thinks she has enough for a queen quilt now.
Next stop was in Oamaru in a new to us shop. A stitch on Tyne has only been open for a few months. We had a look but there really wasn't much for us in there. I did find this fishy looking one for an eye spy quilt though.
Our last stop on the way home is a store that we often forget about, like Cathy it is a little out of the way, but a nice store. We both found some pretty fabrics and as an added bonus they were having a 20% sale I got a cute charm pack and some coordinating fabric to add borders and binding.
And I also found this bundle of spots.
No plan for them, they were just too cute to leave behind.
W also had lunch and visited one or two other stores while we were out, which was nice. I bought a rhubarb plant for Tony. Don't like the stuff myself, but Tony will enjoy anything I bake with it. LOL
It was a great day, we chatted and nattered all day long about work, husbands and life in general, I think we each managed to let off some steam and we promised that we will do it again soon. We also discussed getting together for a wee sew along day. Hopefully we can do that soon. 
Maybe after my little excursion I can rediscover my sewjo. I have time to sew again, but sadly the sewjo is missing....
Maybe if I find it again I'll get back to posting more often. 

12 comments:

Lin said...

I couldnt resist those spots either - gorgeous! Nice day out and great purchases. Hope you mojo returns soon! xx

jude's page said...

Sounds like a perfect day out and about!

cityquilter grace said...

sounds like a great catch up day...rummaging around in the stash usual sparks ideas and motivation, hope you find yours

Jennifer said...

Such a shame your shop is closing.....one of our local shops closed nearly two years ago when the owners retired, and I still miss it. Well shopped on your goodies!

Jenny said...

A lovely day out indeed with a good friend. Quilt shops to visit, a few purchases, and lunch, sounds good to me.

Fiona said...

lovely to have a day out with a friend, and a bit of retail therapy thrown in. Hugz

ButterZ said...

Hi, have a look at this for your xblocks…
https://www.moniicoo.com/products/acrylic-xblocks-template-include-3-free-patterns?fbclid=IwAR31NSGVaXJQFBRlx8VorUPLNDWKQHm6cAvVLmzrBZ5LJYby2u03E4ipshQ_aem_th_AQxpEu8HBBEhZ-MFdQFDE8HvGIOLSV2XJ30aYIY3TSq03NJAoq8NPW1aW7LgckPB8sw

Sounds like a great day.

marina said...

a lovely productive day out.
Hope your Sewjo returns!

dq said...

Quilty shopping, and especially with a good friend is always fun! It is always super sad to see quilt shops close down. Buying online is just not the same when it comes to fabric shopping. I like to touch it and find pieces that go with it.

Janice said...

Isn’t a day out with a good girlfriend just the best. As you say, you can chat about anything non stop. You found a nice little collection to bring home. I have the larger x-block ruler and the book, but have not made anything with it. We’ll chat later. You will be in Tony’s good books with that rhubarb.

kiwikid said...

So good to have a girls day out - you found some wonderful goodies.

Ondrea said...

Such a lovely day out. You are blessed to have a friend to go out and about with. Lots of lovely purchases.