Sunday 18 June 2023

Eye Spy for Charmaine.

As I mentioned a couple of posts back, our GD Charmaine asked me to make her a quilt for her birthday, which just happens to be in about two weeks. On the day she asked I showed her a collection of fabrics I've had for some time, with her in mind. We looked through them and she had lots of favourites in the bundle. Wanting to achieve something fairly speedily I opted for large HSTs
I had that done in no time and began to audition sashing and corner stones.
But nothing was really working for me, so in desperation I pushed all the blocks together and rather liked the effect.
But still not quite right, so a quick shuffle about and ....
That's much better.
They sat like that for a day or two before being sewn together, then it was time for borders.
After some input from my pal Janice I finally have a completed top.
Thank you Janice, I wasn't thinking of two borders, but that works beautifully.
Charmaine told me she wants a lovely fluffy back, like the back of her brothers quilt. I made one for Torstein with a fleece back and we looked at the backs of some of the quilts I have here and yes, that is exactly what she wants, please.  
Hopefully I can get it quilted this week.
I've also had my cross stitch needle busy over the weekend, plugging away at St Nick.
There really is not much left to do before I begin the back stitching, couching on some sparkles and adding beads. It all got put on hold today as Charmaine and Torstein were here for their tea. Little Torstein loves to sit up beside his Grandad at the table. He ate a big plate of chicken casserole I think he showed Grandad every single kernel of corn and green bean before popping them into his mouth. LOL  He followed all of that with a bowl of ice cream with extra sprinkles, Grandad lets him add his own sprinkles.
His hair is getting quite long and Mummy had to tie it up before he sat at the table. 
Well, that's my news, I'm off to crochet until bedtime.
Hope you had a good weekend.
Mine was great.
😊

15 comments:

Jeanette said...

beautiful quilt. St Nick is looking good.

Jennifer said...

That's a fun quilt, I'm sure it will be loved! Nice to see how well St Nick is coming along too. Those extra sprinkles make life worth while, don't they?

Jenny said...

Isnt it wonderful when a family member actually asks for a quilt, and has some input into it too. That way, you know it will be cherished and well loved.

Karen S said...

That is a great quilt for your granddaughter. And it makes it even more special because she chose the fabrics.

Lin said...

Charmaines quilt is looking great and lovely that she chose the fabrics. The double border does look good. xx

Rose Marie said...

Your GD will love her new quilt! Having little ones around are so much fun and their view on life is interesting.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Little Torstein is such a beautiful boy. What a joy for you both! And a good eater too by the sounds of it.
I love that quilt so much it makes me want to make one just like it! I may not have as many blacks though.
The cross stitching is any stitches move the project along, is how I view it. It all counts. So happy stitching you!!

Fiona said...

The quilt worked out so well in that setting.... so nice GD has input into it.....Gotto have extra sprinkles at the grandparents house!
Hugz

dq said...

Love the layout you decided on for your GD's quilt. Janice was a great teammate for border selection even if she was most likely a country and ocean away while doing it.

cityquilter grace said...

cute little diversions there lou...and no doubt a cute quilt that'll be loved a lot....anxious to see more of santa!

kiwikid said...

Great way to incorporate all the favourite fabrics, it is a beautiful quilt. Lovely to have Torstein over to visit.

Janice said...

Charmaine’s quilt should be a great hit for her birthday. I can’t believe how much Torstein has grown. Good to see he has a healthy appetite. Keep plugging away with your cross stitch and it should be ready for Christmas.

Chookyblue...... said...

The quilt looks good

Ondrea said...

Love that quilt! Awww, Torstein is so cute with gorgeous hair. I wish my grandsons were allowed to grow their hair longer . Your crosstitch is comimg along nicely. I got one of my old half done ones out to see if I am in the mood to complete it after years of neglect lol.

jude's page said...

Great quilt, and gorgeous curls and red hair for Torstein.