Thursday 2 May 2024

That was unexpected.

 Knowing that I was going to need something else to work on this month I pulled out another scrappy project. Do you recall this post from back in February?  I was playing with a small collection of Debbie Mumm scraps that I had acquired.
I played about with them inspired by the orphan churn dash block which came with them. 
Then for what ever reason they were put away into a box. They came out to play yesterday. I thought they might be a good scrap project to get over the line this month.
I had more blocks than I remembered and spread them out on the floor, I decided that I needed a couple more so quickly made those and before I knew it it was 9am and I had half a quilt top made. LOL
I cheated a little by using some of the fabric prints in larger pieces, but it was still like assembling a puzzle getting all of those different size blocks to go together. But I managed it and by lunch time it was a finished top.
Sorry about the poor quality image. It was a dark and rainy day yesterday and difficult to get a good photo. 
I toyed with the idea of a flying geese border but decided against it. This will do.
It's now in the to be quilted pile. LOL
Hopefully once it has been quilted we will have some better weather and I can get a better photo.
*
Two more days before I'm rostered to return to work, so plenty of time to play.
I'm off to see what number I need to work on for the Chookshed Challenge and what colour Kiwi I must make for the RSC.
May is off to a good start! 

11 comments:

Jenny said...

How nice to have a few days off work to be able to play with your projects. Great work getting the Debbie Mumm top together.

ButterZ said...

You have a great start with your days off. You will get your RSC done early too. Fingers crossed for the CHOOKSHED challenge. Nice quilt too.

Ma Betty said...

I always love these tessellated puzzle quilts. Interesting that in you last photo I saw the bottom as a hexagon border! I realise it is just the other quilt showing behind it. But a matching hexie border at the bottom and even on the right might be fun.

Jeanette said...

cute quilt top.

Lin said...

A great start with a top finished already!

Lianne makes stuff said...

I remember Debbie Mumm, she was very popular when I started quilting back in the day but the fabric wasn't readily available so it is like I want it but I know nah don't bother, my taste has changed, I still admire her fabrics, anyway your churn dashes look great well done.

kiwikid said...

That is a great top Lou, well done yo use up the blocks.

Susan said...

That came together really well and quickly!

Sharm said...

I’m impressed with just how much you manage to achieve! I think I’ve fallen into a time wasting hole the past couple of years since our move here and moving Dad at the same time ( mental and emotional exhaustion from everything sent me to the mind numbing on line games - such time water’s but mind numbing was required) ……..anyhow the fuzz is beginning to lift and I’m still very much loving those kiwi birds you are making ….im positive you emailed us the instructions so I need to find it and pull it out for this months challenge. Have a great month

Jenny said...

Lovely Debbie Mum quilt. Her fabrics were some of the first I used in my quilting journey. I still love them.

Chookyblue...... said...

oh I do love Churn dash blocks..........looking great....