Tuesday 4 September 2007

Another finish!

When I had it all laid out on the floor ready for the final round of construction yesterday, it dawned on me that I really don't like this one! Is this normal? Does anyone else suddenly go off a piece at or near to completion?


My efforts at quilting this piece were, well, (Insert expletive!) awful just about sums it up! I wonder how much of that was down to the fact that I had gone off it? And how much was down to trying to use a household size machine? I think in future I'll stick to the quilt as I go method, it's more forgiving. But thank you to those who encouraged me to have a go, I'd still be wondering.......if it wasn't for your faith.
I put the buttons on again, one in the centre of each block, they are not needed to hide any wobbles, I got that bit right! I just like them, they feel good. Hehehehehe, is there an embellisher inside of me pushing to get out? :-D
DD pointed out that the colours are actually perfect for my mothers sitting room. Merry Christmas Mum! I hope she doesn't mind a bit of wobbly quilting and some slightly screwed up corners! I did my best to rescue it.

And for my next trick? The washing machine is whirring round as I type! A few weeks ago I joined a beginners club which, every month sends out a scrap bundle and instrutions for making up a block, my first installment arrived at the same time as the fabric I used for this last piece. It's the really bright roll in the center of the pic here. It sat in it's pretty roll adorning the sideboard for a while as it seemed a shame to break into it. After pressing tomorrow I'll be cutting for some bright nine patches, there are lots of really bright pinks and blues in this bundle, not at all colours I would choose for myself so I'm not sure what will become of them. I'll ponder that while I sew.

7 comments:

Sarah Nopp said...

I do understand going off a project, evidenced by the bin of incompletes I just rediscovered yesterday.
That is a soft looking quilt and it would be a very nice guest bed cover :)
As far as quilting on your home machine, that is what most of us use. But it does take some practice, not just the quilt designs, but the manhandling of the things. I am sure you will get the hang of it.
Do you ever get to do a sew-in with other quilty friends? That has been a big help to me- someone else to look at me and say You are doing that Wrong. LOL Such help!
Anyway, I think your quilt looks fine. And I can't wait to see what you put together next!

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Hi, yes quite a common thing for me, by the time I have had all the fun of putting it together, I get over it and it is very difficult to finish something you areover!!
Regarding the machine quilting, I have to do it this way as well, do you know the trick of putting a couple of those little plastic door stops under the back of the machine so that it leans towards you and is lot easier on your back? Just thought that may help in the future, but I have no miracle cures for how you deal with the sheer weight of fabric you need to manouevre(??)
regards, tracey

Janet said...

I love it Loulee...very pretty...I can't understand, why it doesn't suit you...plus, with all the labor involved, it makes it extra special.

I can't wait to see what's next ?

dot said...

This is a very soft looking beautiful quilt. Your mom will love it. We often are to hard on ourselves when we critique our quilts. Machine quilting takes patience and practice.

Unknown said...

The old saying 'familiarity breeds contempt' is very true with quilts - often you spend so long working on one that you're heartily sick and tired of the sight of it by the time you put those final stitches in the binding - put it away in the cupboard for a few months and you'll love it again when you unearth it!

Rose Marie said...

I go off a project when it is at the top stage but then start to love the quilt as soon as there is some quilting done on it.

Clare said...

I've just broken my own rule after 4 years of quilting. I flatly refused to start on a new project until I'd finished the current WiP. I got so ?;:!*%? fed up with the last one that I was nearly in tears when I finished. Always have something on the cutting mat, something to quilt and something to finish. Then you can chop and change at will with no pressure and you'll enjoy yourself which, after all, is what it is all about isn't it?