Thursday 20 September 2007

It's done.

My boys quilt is done. I sat yesterday afternoon and quilted it. :-)
Inspired and urged on by this post, if a 10 year old can do it, so can I.
I set off stitching the outline of leaves on each of the 4 separate parts,then as I put them together I meandered all over the two halves, before fastening them together and meandering over the join.


In places my meanders are close together, in other places they are perhaps a little too far apart, but on the whole I'm rather pleased with myself. I didn't meander into my leaf outlines, they are still there. This morning I put on the binding.


It's darker in real life than it appears here, the white lines you can see are the leaf outlines and their details, I even managed to give them stems and veins! Amid the meander anyone looking closely will see my boys nick name and 'mum' .

You may remember I was thinking of using an old waffle blanket instead of wadding in this one, well someone suggested trying a layer of fleece instead of wadding and a backing. I went with that idea in the end and all afternoon yesterday while I was quilting it I was worried that it wouldn't be cosy enough, (LOL) this morning while I slipped the binding closed my fears were put to rest as I toasted underneath it. Very cosy, but lightweight and a perfect size to snuggle under while watching TV on a cold night. I want to make a second one of these, two boys means making two quilts.

So, what next? I can't get settled at my cross stitch cause my back is still sore. I'll have to keep on with the quilts. I have some Katies choice blocks cut ready to piece, I have my scrap blocks of the month to play with, a second batch of autumn charms has arrived and I want to make a very girly turning twenty. Decisions, decisions..........

See you soon.

11 comments:

Alisa said...

I really like this one!

Janet said...

It's a perfect Boy Quilt Loulee... absolutely wonderful, and I am glad to hear it's toasty warm too!

Lot's of luck on the second Boy Quilt!

Rose Marie said...

Oh Bravo! Well, I'm a bit older than 10, so if she and you can, then so can I. That is my next challenge. Interesting to hear about using fleece for the batting. I've been thinking of doing the same.

Andrea said...

It's great ! Glad you went with the fleece - It really is nice and snuggly. You did a good job on the quilting - onto the second one ?

Julia said...

Perfect for a boy, well done Loulee!
Looks gorgeous...I'm sure he will love it forever,

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Very well done, the meander worked well. I used an old bedspread in Joshua's- there are no rules, whatever feels good!Tracey

Colleen said...

This quilt looks so great. I love the colors in it. YOu did a fabulous job with your meandering. This compliment is coming from a wanna-be meanderer. I'm determined to become good at it, but definitely not there yet, so whenever I see someone doing it, I'm impressed and also inspired. Thanks for the inspiration.

Fiona said...

Looks excellent - and I'll bet your son thinks it is the best quilt ever. I never thought of putting fleece in between the layers for the batting.

Anne Wigfull said...

I'm so happy that my DGD Katie's free motion work inspired you. Great job! And now you have the taste for it there will be no stopping you :}

Unknown said...

Your quilting looks very good! I've enjoyed reading your blog tonight. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. Also, thanks for the well wishes!

Michael5000 said...

Fabulous!