Wednesday 8 March 2023

A new sewing accessory.

Every year at about this time, tins of ANZAC biscuits appear in the super markets of New Zealand. Each year there are a series of collectible designs on the tins. And each year a tiny portion of money per tin is donated to the RSA, or Returned Services Association. The tins usually depict war scenes, but someone must have told them that it is generally us women who do the shopping and that we like pretty tins, we use them for all manner of things, like sewing projects....As soon as I saw this years I knew I had to have one, and as soon as I got it home I decanted the biscuits in to another container, so that I could use the pretty tin for a sewing project.
I can't show you what it is, as it's a secret. LOL  
I thought I should buy one for Tony too. 
I've done a little stitching on St Nick since last time I blogged, but mostly I have focused on secret stuff, so don't have much to show. So I thought I would take you on another walk instead.
Just outside of town there is a tiny scrap of native bush. The whole area used to be bush, but settlers way back in the day cleared the land for farming, so only tiny pockets remain. Tony opted to walk in one of them last weekend.
Claremont bush is accessed via an unfinished road winding through farmland.
It was a beautiful sunny day, with morning cloud burning off fast thanks to the kiwi sun.
We went through the gate and walked in to the forest.
We were soon joined by a cute wee native.
And he brought a friend.
Fantails or Piwakawaka as the Maori call them like to accompany humans as we disturb the insect life as we pass and the little birds get a feast.
These two stayed with us for quite some time, getting very close, I though one was going to settle on Tony's shoulder at one point.
This little patch of land is in a small ravine and you have to be part mountain goat to follow the path at times! Our legs got a good work out and we were glad of the steps when they were available.
It was difficult to get photos once we got well in to the forest as it was quite dark. I don't know the names of many of the plants, shrubs and trees that we saw, but I do know ferns when I see them, they were everywhere in many varities.
This image was supposed to show how steep that climb was, hmm, didn't work out that way. LOL
And this image gives a clue as to how old this place might be.
We were joined by another pair of Fantails as we climbed higher.
We could hear many other species of birds all around us as we walked and climbed but could see none of them. It was a short walk and after about 40 minutes we popped back out in to the sunshine. 
It was a lovely walk and we vowed to return again.
That's all from me today, I need to move myself and get some stuff done.
Also an early start at work as we have a staff meeting.



 

18 comments:

Jeanette said...

The tins are lovely. I'll have to see if they have any like that here. :). Lovely walkabout photo's.

Janice said...

It’s very smart to make pretty tins as well as the more traditional Anzac scenes. Your walk looked great. So nice to find pockets of native forest.

Raewyn said...

I've only accasionally seeen the Anzac tins but always look out for them! Very handy indeed! What a lovely walk you went on - aren't the fantails such fun little birds..they flit around so much that I find it hard to get a decent photo!

Jennifer said...

Your poppy tin is very pretty! Cute little fantails.....they are a bit like our black and white Willy Wagtails.

Janet O. said...

I really love the poppy tin! Very pretty.
Wow, that walk takes you into another world. I would expect fictional characters to start popping out of those woods, not just hungry birds. :)

Lin said...

Great place for a walk and the little birds are cute. The tins are lovely and irresistible I can see. xx

jude's page said...

Haven't seen tins of Anzac bikkies this side of the water, but then I am in a very rural country town. Enjoying your walks and seeing your countryside.

Christine B said...

What a beautiful new tin! I would have to have one in my craft room if they sold them here! What a beautiful walk and lovely pictures of the fantails! Christine xx

Jenny said...

I'll have to look out for those Anzac Biscuit tins. It's a always nice to go out in the native Bush, those fantails are always so friendly as they follow you about I know it's all about the insects we disturb, but.....they are such pretty birds.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Loulee what a wonderful place to go walking ,love those tiny birds and can’t wait to see what you are doing with the tins 🌹🤍🌹

Susan said...

What a treat to see the NZ bush and wildlife.

So good that these tins are rectangular- of the ones we get here are round - nt nearly as useful!

Susan said...

I meant "Often the ones..."

Mystic Quilter said...

I shall be scouring the supermarket shelves now for Anzac tins, the biscuits are delicious! We have fantails in the garden quite a lot, they have a beautiful call and so friendly. Stunning scenes from your bush adventure, the New Zealand bush is always
wonderful to walk through.

cityquilter grace said...

lovely photos and really interesting to see...and st nick is gorgeous! more, more!!

Denice Barker said...

Ah, such a nice walk. Now I can skip mine for today!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

St. Nick is just turning out gorgeous...last post.
I too would not resist those Anzac tins. So pretty with the poppies. I use mine for all kinds of stitching stuff. I so enjoyed seeing your outdoor photos and the birds are so interesting. Thanks for sharing.

kiwikid said...

Great tins for ANZAC day, I haven't seen them like that here either. Wonderful walk in the bush, the fantails are cute little birds.

Ondrea said...

I loooove tins and yours are lovely. Great find. Lovely pics.