Monday 13 March 2023

Preparations and a different kind of walk.

 Preparations for my trip to Scrub Stitchin' are under way. I should say under way again as I already have one kit ready to go and had started this one a while ago, but it stalled in favour of other things. 
So anyway, I have all the blue grey fabrics cut for a second kit and have made a start on the back ground fabrics. 
I've also started to print and cut papers for my next EPP project.
This was the fabric that caused me to be late for the last zoom session Chooky organised.
I was inspired by the cover image on the latest Quilters Companion magazine.
There has been some work, life, garden and domestic chores getting in the way of what I really want to do, but I've made time here and there to pick away at some stitching as well as the cutting.
One very important chore that had to be done over the weekend, was to help move our cattle. As a family we keep a small number of beasties on Tony's parents property. They in turn share paddocks with a neighbour who does the same. The job this week was to move the girls from the paddock in the foreground, to the green one in the distance.
We were racing with the weather. A very dark and wet looking front was moving up the coast.
I was on gate duty and the three boys went into the paddock to convince the girls it was time to move.
It took a while, but once they decided to go.... 
They were off! I almost didn't have time to get a photo.
There was a fake electric fence set up in an effort to keep them on the berm and not have them wander all over the lane. Of course one did test it out and wandered along the outside of it.
In no time at all, they turned a right at the blue truck.
These girls have made this trip before, they know where they are going and they know the food is better when they get there.
There they go, turning safely and happily in to the green paddock.
The rain started to fall as we hopped in to the truck to leave.
Other distractions have included this young man.
Time for me to go and do some stuff.
Hope you had a great weekend.

16 comments:

ButterZ said...

Nothing like doing your family duties. Happy to see your scrub Stitchin prep.

Jennifer said...

Fun projects you are organising! Now we know how the cows come home.....LOL

Lin said...

Lovely bright sunny fabrics for your new EPP project. xx

cityquilter grace said...

SS already? that came up fast...seems like zoom chat was just recent....lovely diamonds coming up!

Rose Marie said...

I can understand why you were late .... those fabrics and pattern will be fun to work with. Bright and cheery!

Radka said...

Interesting to see other side of your everyday life, and I am not talking about sewing :-)

Fiona said...

you have some lovely fabrics to play with there....
Hugz

Ondrea said...

Love the blue/ grey fabrics and the others are so cheery.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Loulee oh you have been busy . Loving the fabrics that you have chosen and oh my your little man is so cute 🌹🤍🌹

Susan said...

Love the bright colours for the QC quilt

Preparation is the key to an easy retreat! not too long now

Good timing re the cows & rain - lucky I think

Mystic Quilter said...

Your fabric choice would be just perfect for the quilt on the cover, looks so summery. I've loved seeing the photos of moving the cattle, takes me back to younger days on our local farm and my Aunt and Uncles' farm in Buxton.

Karen S said...

Great to be organised well ahead. Lovely fabrics.
Looks like a good walk, too.

Raewyn said...

Glad the girls co-operated and you got the stockwork done before the rain started. Good on you with your organising for Scrub Stitching. I'm only just getting ideas togetherin my head....Chooky's project idea was a good one to get me planning!

kiwikid said...

I like your Scrub Stitching prep. Very nice distractions to have.

Janice said...

You won’t run out of projects at SS with that little lot. Good to see you being Farmer Lou. 🧑🏻‍🌾

Chookyblue...... said...

glad to hear some prep has been happening.......I do love those brights too.......and who knew you had cows........