Wednesday 1 March 2023

Hot Stuff!

Todays post is brought to you from the green house and the kitchen.
I think I mentioned that our chilli are beginning to ripen. Tony likes the hot varieties, here he is checking out his habaneros. 
They are beginning to change colour, but we still need some more warm weather.
The Carolina Reapers are a little further behind.
The wild fire, which is the variety we usually see in the supermarket are doing well, I've had quite a few turn red already and have cooked with them. There are so many fruit on the bushes that we had some broken branches. I cut them off and saved the fruits.
Putting them on a tray in a sunny window helps some of them to ripen a little more.
Just as you would with  tomatoes.
Today I gathered together all of the ripe chilli and also a few green ones to make up the correct weight and made my first batch of 

Evil Chilli Chutney.

I discovered this recipe on Pinterest a few years ago when we had a huge chilli harvest. Tony loved it we also have a few friends who rather like it too so every year we grow chilli hoping for a bumper crop.
There is not a huge list of ingredients, I'll pop the recipe at the end of the post.
The obligatory shot of the cauldron bubbling away. 
It stains everything it touches.
For the final step, out comes the trusty blitzer.
And then in to the jars it goes.
It even looks evil!
I'll hide it away for a few weeks as it improves with age.
Here's the recipe if you're interested.
My chores are done for the day.
Time to sew.
I'm still busy with my cross stitch, that is what is calling the loudest, so that is what gets attention. 

 

14 comments:

kiwikid said...

Well done with the chilli's, it sure does look evil!!

Janet O. said...

With a name like that, I don't know if I would dare try it. But it looks intriguing.

Mystic Quilter said...

Rather you than me with the chilli peppers, I'm no good at all with them sadly!

Janice said...

That’s not something that would be popular in our house. We have Mum’s wooden spoon only used for sauces and chutneys, as it is stained so much.

Lin said...

Mmmm yes, definitely evil! I can take some chilli but maybe not that! Is it a bit like harrissa? xx

Jennifer said...

I'm afraid I will have to pass on that, Lou! Enjoy.

ButterZ said...

Can you email me the recipe. The photo is t very clear. My brother would love it.

Fiona said...

Sounds good... I do like a bit of chilli but not sure I would cope with that one...
Hugz

cityquilter grace said...

looks fiery...what do you eat it with? chips, meats, crackers or all 3?

dq said...

What a great name for the chili recipe! It makes you want to eat it.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Loulee wow this sounds amazingly hot ,can’t beat homemade condiments,well done 🌹🤍🌹

Ondrea said...

It is always lovely having an abundance of food in the garden. Mmm the chutney looks so yummy. I used to love really hot spicey food but my gut can no longer deal with it lol.

jude's page said...

While I don't mind tomato chutney, can't say I would like anything with chilli in. With a name like that it sounds too hot!

Christine B said...

Looks a great harvest but I would have to pass on the chutney. I just can't eat anything that hot! Christine xx