Sunday 9 August 2020

Making Masks.

Even though there is no community transmission here in New Zealand, we are still all to aware of the threat of Covid. Anyone who comes to the country must remain in quarantine for 14 days, and longer if you test positive.  The health service and the government have advised us to be prepared and to purchase or make masks.
Last night Tony and I went to dinner at a friends home and all of the ladies present requested that I make masks for them. So this morning I made a start. 
I used this pattern which I found on a google search. I experimented with two and three layers of fabric and settled eventually on two.
In my research I came across many methods of wearing your mask. I opted for two lengths of elastic around the back of the head as I felt that would interfere less with my specs and also help to prevent the ear pain I have heard some people had struggled with.
This one is waiting to be adjusted to the wearers head size, then a quick knot and snip off the ends and it's done.
While I was digging about looking for appropriate fabrics I came across this one.

I just had to use it, there was just enough for two masks. One for me and one for my boy Joe.
This was taken before Tony helped me to adjust the elastic.
And a properly adjusted Poppy version.
I have a few more made and many more yet to make. Some in pretty floral fabrics and some more manly fabrics.
Hopefully I can get them done fairly fast and move back to the fun stuff.
*
Look!
I have a new picture of Floki and Daddy.

😍💖😍


How did your weekend go?


 


13 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

Probably should be making some bit I have thousands at work...... But I think these would look prettier...... And yes elastic around the head not behind the ears would be best......

Maria said...

The masks you made look comfortable a good fit and comfortable.
Gorgeous photo of your son and grandson. Does Floki look like his Dad at the some age ??

Ondrea said...

Well done! They look loveky. Do your glasses fog up? Hubby had to buy some anti fog cloths. I am glad NZ took a hard line from the start and wish we had. Keep safe.

Kate said...

Very fun masks! At least your government is being proactive. It's a mess here. I'm back to making masks this weekend, for the college girl's roommate as they have to wear a mask on campus when college starts up.

Barwitzki said...

Here in Europe, things have just eased somewhat with regard to Corona. We wear the mask in every shop, public transport and open exhibitions. There are always up-to-date instructions on travel options. It was currently possible to visit Italy ... which I did with my girlfriend. Your masks are very beautiful. I also sew my own with beautiful fabrics. I sew the same style ...
they wear wonderfully.
Nice picture of the two ... I have the grandchildren here too. Splendid.
Warm regards to you. Viola

kiwikid said...

Your makes look great, well done. Lovely photo of your son and grandchild. 😁

Jenny said...

Your masks look great. I have only made the pleated version, but think this other pattern would be better.

Fiona said...

well done with the masks... I have done quite a few... looks a similar pattern. no mistaking Floki's dad! wonderful picture of the two of them...
Hugz

Karen S said...

Great work with the masks. It looks like we will be using them for quite a while.

dq said...

I checked out your mask link. I want to make a few different patterns to decide on the look and comfort I prefer when I go back to school in two weeks. I will be wearing one every day.

Karen's Korner said...

Nice work on the masks. Two peas in a pod - father and son.

jude's page said...

Well done on the mask making, it is something I have not got into, yet, and probably wishful thinking that we won't need them at some stage.

Janice said...

The masks turned out well. I still have to give them a try.