Monday 31 August 2020

A quick finish and I'm finally catching up!

As you know, there have been a few changes in the routine here at our place. Tony's two days, two nights, four days off roster has us all a little unsettled. Poor Belle is sitting staring at his empty seat as I type. She is really not sure what to make of it all. He tried to sleep today, as it was the day between his night shifts, but Belle hopped onto the bed and made such a fuss she work him. Then later on she was crying and meowing in the hall way as he had shut her out of the room to prevent her from jumping up again. I do hope she gets used to the new routine soon. 
It does have it's advantages though, the need to be quiet while Tony sleeps has finally pushed me back into my stitching chair and I'm happy to report that I have finished June and July's Christmas ornaments. Now to catch up a little on my I stitch blocks.
I have to say, the new light Tony found for my lamp is incredibly bright. The old one was a daylight style fluorescent tube and was pretty bright. This new one is LED and seems much brighter. 
Like many of you, I'm continuing to make masks. 
Are you over it yet?
I know I am.
When I got in from work on Friday I decided to have a little rebellion and not make masks, instead I pulled out some charm squares.
Do you recall the quick little quilt top I made during the last Zoom sew along?
You can see it here, right at the end.
Well, I decided that it was not right and I wanted something a little brighter.
So it met Jack the ripper!!
After I had finished sewing the newcharms together and layered and quilted them.
I had a quick consult via messenger with Janice and Debbie.
Between us we all voted for the fabric on the left for binding.
And Voila!
One cute wee bassinet sized quilt. As you can see all made with neutral coloured fabrics. I think the charm square pack was called cafe au lait.
I thought about moving those darker squares to the corners, then decided I wasn't going to be fussy and just started sewing things together.
Sorry it's not the best photo, it was dark and I gave it to Joe and Lee already.
Maybe next time you see it, it will be in action.
Baby is due this week.
*
Poor Belle.
She is missing Tony.
 
Maybe if I go and settle into my stitchy chair, she will come and join me.

9 comments:

kiwikid said...

Hopefully Belle settles into the new routine soon. Your bassinet quilt is beautiful. Good to hear the light over your stitching chair is nice and bright.

Jenny said...

Cats really dont like changes, do they. Although I'm sure that she loved him being at home over the last few months now that he has gone she is bereft. Are you relegated to second p,ace?

Lin said...

Sounds like a tricky routine for you to get into let alone poor Belle! Nice work on the little quilt. xx

Karen S said...

I hope your new routine sorts out. We always worry about it for us, but sometimes forget it is important to our pets, too.
Good to have a break from the masks. Your little quilt has worked well.

jude's page said...

It takes a bit of time to get used to shift work, so hope you get it sorted out soon. I think I should make smaller projects and then some of them might get finished??

Janice said...

Poor Belle and poor Tony. I’m sure you will all eventually settle into your new routines. The bassinet quilt turned out well.

Fiona said...

Change is always a bit disturbing and I guess cats like to run the show so they don't adapt too easily!! I made a bunch of masks... and still ahve most of them hanging around... we are lucky I guess not to need them all the time...
Hugz

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I enjoyed seeing your lovely crocheted finishes.
My daughter who is a geriatric health care worker, has to work shifts and I think it is very hard on her sleep in particular. She has been doing this for 21 years now. I don't know how she does it frankly. She is a reader and I think that is a help...for nights when she can't sleep, I mean. Good luck to your hubby with it all.
Meanwhile, great work on the small quilt and I do hope Belle adjusts too!

Chookyblue...... said...

i'm sure you will settle into your new routine soon.....