Thursday 13 October 2022

A quick squirrel project.

So yesterday I was playing about with my scrappy triangles, thinking I might make a few more then decide on a layout and make up a throw size top.  While I was fiddling about I noticed that two blocks appeared to be quite different in size.
No worry I thought as I had not trimmed them down yet, but when I turned them over trim them to the line, (they are foundation paper pieced) I noticed again that they are not all the same size.
The instructions printed on each page state that they should finish at 6 inches on the inner/sewing line.
Some are 6 inches, some are 5 15/16ths some are 6 3/16ths. 
Arg!
How did this happen?
Did I change something?
I printed a few more blocks, making no changes to the printer settings...
Aaaaand....
It's not anything I did, there is a variance in the sizes of the blocks.
I know it is a free pattern, but surely even free patterns should have all of the blocks at the same size.
In a huffy mood I put them all away for another day. Then began pulling out various projects and bundles of fabrics, and I'm not sure quite how I managed it but I found myself on Pinterest looking for another scrap project, then I saw something that might need the contents of the strips drawer.
It's been growing for a while, several years actually so it was way beyond time to do something constructive with the contents.
By now I had spent the whole afternoon messing about doing not a great deal, so I set too and sorted out some fabrics, quickly making up two blocks before tea.
And sorted some more fabrics in preparation for today.
It was Timaru Patchwork and quilters club meeting last night and even though I was asked several times if I would work an extra shift, I declined and attended the meeting. And I'm glad I did.
Any way, after the necessary chores were done this morning I sat down and managed to do some study, with only minimal interruption from Tony. So that after lunch I could play some more.
When Tony and his dad popped in to see what was going on I had a few more blocks made.
These blocks were pretty fast to make and speeded even more by the discovery of a bundle of perfectly sized pieces.
In what seemed like no time at all I decided there were enough blocks and I began to put them together, then added a border and.......
Tada!!!
One completed quilt top.
Yet another project that I can blame on that darned squirrel. And all made entirely from scraps, even the green with gold spots that I used for the sash strips and borders was in the strip drawer. It had been cut many years ago for a project that was abandoned and made its way in to the strip drawer. 
Once it is quilted and bound this one will be donated.
What to do tomorrow?
Maybe make another strippy quilt as this one made very little difference to the drawer, it is still full to the top.
*
Two applications, but no job for Tony yet.
Please keep crossing your fingers and pins for him.
*
I'd better go cook him some tea. 

 

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

I feel your frustration over the different sized blocks! Your completed top has come together very well.

Lin said...

A great make from your scrappy strips and so annoying about those triangles. xx

Janice said...

How crazy is it to have variations in the sizes. Grrrr! At least you put it aside and played with your scraps. Very effective.

Rose Marie said...

Different sizes is sure frustrating. I do find sometimes that when a block is pressed with the paper still attached, the paper tends to shrink a bit. Good work on the other scrap top.

Jenny said...

We often go off on a different tangent while playing with fabric!

Maria said...

At least you didn’t bin the different size blocks…
The squirrel project look great.
How much fabric did you use for the sashing and border please.

Annelein said...

Love your new scrappy project.

Christine B said...

Can fully appreciate the frustration that your blocks weren't all the same size but love the strippy quilt top you managed to get finished instead! Everything crossed for Tony! Hugs Christine xx

Diane-crewe said...

LOVE your scrap top x It is frustrating when directions etc. are wrong, it may be a free pattern but the attention to detail is what makes you return to a designer x

jude's page said...

Love your squirrel project, makes me want to get some strips out of my overflowing drawers.