Monday 6 February 2023

A weather update.

While the North floods, the South is baking.
I know that in many parts of the world the news channels reported the flooding in Auckland and other areas of the North island, even the international airport was affected. It was shocking to see land slides and other damage caused by the torrential rains. While all of that was happening up there, way down South we were basking in record temperatures.  
If the sun is still on this garden thermometer, then it was before 10.30 am! 
Same day, similar time in the shade it was 25 C
We have had several days of it so far and I for one am hoping for several more, I'm loving it.
So is the green house. If it was 30 C outside, what was it in there?
Maybe I need to get another thermometer. LOL
I should have taken a photo before I picked the ripe tomatoes.
The chilli are ripening too.
Last week I pulled our crop of onions and have left them to dry in the sun.
This is about one third of the crop.
And if you look at the top of the picture, in front of the wheel barrow you can see the first two pumpkin also curing in the sun. There are more on the vine, but they are not yet ready. We have tried a new to us variety this year called kamokamo. I hope they are good. 
My rose is also loving the hot dry weather.
That is enough of the garden, what is happening indoors.
Tony is all better and is back at work. The question of where he caught it has now been answered. He was part of a group who volunteered to help a local charity, his place of work (A big name hardware/DIY store)  put in a new kitchen and carried out general maintenance and fix up at the local Riding for the Disabled. The team were there for three days. One of the team travelled from the North island and unknowingly brought the virus with him, sharing it generously. 
Although I did not follow guidelines and avoid my lovely husband, I still did not catch it. 
*
Since my last post I have stitched a little more on St Nick.
On Friday I shocked myself and spent ten minutes in my sewing room. Just long enough to make a quick draw string bag.
A new resident at work has inhalers and the preferred storage method is in a fabric bag.
Tada!
And finally I started another very small cross stitch project.
Can you tell what it is yet?
No?
Good, it's a secret.
I was off work with a Migraine yesterday, so no domestics were done. I'm still not fully over it, but I had better make an effort today. Then I think another quiet day in the air conditioned shade. 

 

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your rose is beautiful, Lou! Curious about your secret cross stitch....here's to not catching the virus, neither of us (touch wood) have yet had it either.

Lin said...

Glad you are enjoying the sunshine - such strange weather patterns around the world. Great for all your produce though. Hope the migraine clears soon. xx

ButterZ said...

Hope it’s only a migraine and not covid.

Maria said...

Rest is the best way to get over your migraine.
Great weather for your crops.
Interesting cross stitch.
Nice string bag for your resident.

Fiona said...

Hope you are feeling better now.... your vegetables are doing so well....
Hugz

Jenny said...

The current hot weather is certainly draining, isnt it. Mind you, it's much cooler in Gore now, wind and rain too. So pleased that Tony is so much better.

Janice said...

I think your garden is being more productive than ours, with the crazy weather we have had. That is such a pretty rose. I like the cute fabric on the draw string bag. I’d never thought to put an Aida band in a hoop like that, not that I ever use a hoop.

kiwikid said...

The hot weather is good for your veges and rose, it has a beautiful flower. Great bag for the resident.

Raewyn said...

Glad you are enjoying the heat - and yes it will be great for the garden. I've really enjoyed our cooler summer with its lack of humidity (haha but too much rain!)(who thought a dairy farmer would say that about summer!) Handy little inhaler bag. Hmm is that a bookmark you're stitching? Hope your migraine is well and truly gone by now.

Radka said...

Oh, I just can't wait for some warmth in this part of the world!

cityquilter grace said...

st nick progress beautiful! garden photos appreciated here in the land of bare trees and icy winds..glad all are well and back on track...i sympathize with migraine..my daughter is a sufferer as well...

Chookyblue...... said...

and who was to know the flooding in Auckland was only the start of a terrible run of weather events for NZ..........such destruction.....