Tuesday 21 February 2023

Something a bit different.

If you have cats, you will know that they love to climb and also love to scratch.  Belle has two cat castles that she loves to climb to the top of. One of them has scratching poles and she just loves to rip those to bits. I'm grateful she sticks to those and leaves our furniture alone. That said I have to keep an eye on them and carry out repairs from time to time. Yesterday was one of those times.
I'd made a start before I thought to take photos. First I trim off as much shredded sisal as I can. Then out comes the trusty hot glue gun and I start wrapping the new sisal. I try to keep the glue in the areas that she does not dig her claws in to. 
The replacement sisal is not quite the same, but Belle does not seem to mind. She happily shreds that too!
Tadaa!
20 meters of sisal does not go far.
Belle plays games of tag with Tony, wrapping herself around the platform and wriggling through the gaps, trying to tap him on the finger tips, (No claws) before he can tag her. On cold days I sometimes find her asleep in the wee house, our grand daughter Charmaine put that blanket in there for her a few years ago.
Like I said, something a bit different.
*
And if you want to see stitches, here is a before and after of St Nick.
The above was taken on Feb 12th and the lower image is where I stopped stitching this evening.
I am very happy with progress, especially as I have been working on a secret project and also keeping up with preserving and freezing. That said we did not grow a huge amount of veg this year, but I think we will be planting a winter garden soon, as the cyclone has caused huge devastation to the crops that much of the country relies on. Already there are shortages and I'm guessing there will be more. 
*
That's it, that's all I have to show this evening and now it's time for bed.
Good night all.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Kitties do love a sisal-covered post to scratch! St Nick's tree is looking good.

Christine B said...

Great fix and great progress on St Nick. Christine xx

Jenny said...

Those scratching posts certainly get a great work out!

cityquilter grace said...

coming along very nicely...so sorry to hear of the devastation...we rely on california for significant amount of produce year round but droughts are becoming a problem...when i was a kid our family had a large garden and we preserved much...and ate local year round...never had peaches in winter or fresh berries either...only what got preserved from summer...suspect we will get back to that as time passes...

Mystic Quilter said...

John has had to make repairs with sisal on the large cat set for Leila, also the small scratching post by the door. I've seen the last one in your photos in the local Animates store and have been very tempted to buy one.

Janice said...

You did a great job restoring Belle’s scratchy posts. Joey likes his too, but also uses the furniture. Grrrrr! You are making great progress on St Nick. I’m sure he will be ready for Christmas this year.

jude's page said...

Great repair job, lots of devastation in this world of ours, I love being able to pick some of my own

Ondrea said...

Wow! Your crosstitch is growing. Lol, my last cat refused to use scratching posts and ruined our sofa and lounge chairs. You have done a great job with the posts.

kiwikid said...

Your cross stitch is coming along really well. Great repair on the cats scratching posts.