Sunday 26 February 2023

Another walk and progress on St Nick.

Ok, so since blogger has reorganised my pictures, we'll do St Nick first.
The top image shows my progress since last time, and the lower image shows todays progress.
He is progressing nicely. I'm also working on a secret project, so that is taking time.
Another thing that takes up time  is creating in the kitchen. Tony's dad brought me a bag of apples, so I made a new to me recipe, an apple bakewell cake. A delicious concoction of sliced apples and a fatless almond batter for the sponge.
It's yummy!
The remaining apples have been stewed and frozen for future baking. I've also been busy with more tomatoes and finally the chilli are beginning to ripen, soon I'll be busy with those.
*
Yesterday was a beautiful day so Tony and I went for another walk. This time in the scenic reserve. It was used by settlers as a quarry, with much rock and stone removed to help build the town.
There are open meadow areas with paths, a creek and a duck pond.
A road runs through the reserve, making it easy for all to access this popular beauty spot.

There are many trees offering shade to cyclists and walkers.
Even apple trees!
You can tell we have had very little rain here, the grasses and shrubs are bone dry, we could hear crickets and cicadas chirruping away on either side of the path.
Off the road there are walking tracks and mountain biking paths that many people use.
There were signs that Autumn is coming, who remembers playing with 'helicopters' as a child?
Some of the trees are beginning to change colour, taking on the beautiful golden hues of Autumn.
Of course I had to collect a pretty pebble for my jar.
And that is another weekend over.
I hope you had a good one, like Tony and I.

14 comments:

Lin said...

Another lovely place to walk. St Nick is progressing nicely and your apple cake looks delicious. xx

Jeanette said...

Looks like a lovely place to take a walk. St Nick is progressing well. The cake sounds yummy, I might have to give it a try. 😊😊.

Susan said...

St Nic is coming along well….the apple cake sounds lovely. Nothing Autumn like here yet…will be at least a month before it cools down a bit.

cityquilter grace said...

ooh st nick is coming along beautifully....and lovely outdoor photos...i am partial to home made applesauce myself...sometimes i add pears and it's delish!

Jenny said...

A heard a comment on the TV Weather that Summer is almost over, that's hard to believe!

Fiona said...

St Nick is developing well... so many tiny stitches... love the sound of that cake and what a gorgeous area to walk...
Hugz

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

Thanks for taking us on an adventure around your local area. Your cake looks delicious!

Mystic Quilter said...

How lucky you are to have such a beautiful reserve nearby! We haven't heard very much from crickets or cicadas this year, we just haven't had the usual amount of hot weather and it seems as if we may not be getting any!! Apple Bakewell cake - mouthwatering, if you have the time and are happy to share I'd love the recipe.

Jennifer said...

Your cake looks very yummy! At Nick is progressing well, I bet he's pleased. Lovely spot for a walk.....it has been very dry here, but we've had some welcome rain this evening.

Christine B said...

St Nick is looking great and that apple cake looks delicious! Glad you enjoyed some time in the fresh air. It is so nice to get out for a while! Hugs Christine xx

Pink Rose said...

Hi Loulee St Nick is coming along nicely , I love your work and your cake looks so yummy,what a beautiful part of the world that you live in Loulee 🌹🤍🌹

kiwikid said...

Your apple cake looks amazing, that park is a wonderful place to go for a walk.

Janice said...

Your apple Bakewell cake looks scrummy. Is that where you and I went for a walk?

jude's page said...

That apple cake looks yummy, thanks for the walk, can't say that I know what 'helicopters' are though.