Sunday 12 November 2023

Tornado warnings!!?

Two weeks ago I was off to find a panto for quilting the dinosaur quilt. Well I did find one, dinosaur footprints.  I fiddled and tweaked with it so that I could do it with my machine on the frame. Then made a start and stalled. It is a very involved pattern, especially made smaller!
I procrastinated for a day or two then wound myself up and got back to it. It was a beautiful day when I settled in, all around me the windows showed the gardens looking lovely. 
Iris and peony were showing colour in the long bed.
The wedding cake tree was looking stunning as the flowers started to open.
I quilted and quilted as the sun shone and enjoyed the fresh air through the open windows.
On the other side of the house some rather different weather was brewing.
Huge clouds were growing and dark skies were approaching.
Then the radio said there was a tornado warning!
I marveled at the weather for a while and listened to the thunder coming closer and closer. There were some very impressive bolts of lightening. 
Then down came the hailstones and very soon the rain.
I called to Tony when I spotted these waterfalls forming.
A leaf had fallen into the downspout and blocked it. Tony was able to lean over from the deck and clear it. The storm lasted for quite some time.
I have to say here in Timaru we got off lightly, to my knowledge no tornados put down but  some areas had flooding and hail damage.
I carried on quilting through the storm and got it completed. Then I trimmed and put the binding on. I spent the evening after the storm closing the binding.
And I'm happy to say that Belle approves. LOL
I had intended to take the quilt outside on a nice day and get some photos in the garden, but that didn't happen yet. Maybe sometime soon. For now you will have to make do with an indoor artificially lit image. Sorry.
*
Amid work I made what was supposed to be a quick trip out to Geraldine to visit the Pin Tin with Debbie. It turned in to an all day affair and we visited a few different shops. I'll show you my fabric purchases soon.
*
I've also been doing some of my cross stitch.  
It's made quite a bit of progress since I last posted about it.
With that eye watching me I feel like I have company now. 
*
We have a new member in our local club she likes to do a little thread painting and brought along this show stopper for show and tell last week.
OMG!!
He is beautiful. 
*
What else has filled my time in the last couple of weeks?
I've been reading, baking, gardening, working, the afore mentioned day out with Debbie and I left my Christmas ornaments to the last minute this year and have been fiddling about trying to get them done too!  Now I really need to get them finished and also make another quilt for Christmas. 
Oh and I have fabric cut out to make a new top. 

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my - that's quite the storm! Well done on the stormy dinosaurs, and the cat....love the peeping eye. That's a gorgeous kiwi, although I know they aren't that colour in real life!

Jo said...

Wow. That was some storm. Luckily there was no damage. Good to see the dinosaur quilt done.

Lin said...

Quite some storm. I do love watching a good storm brew, can be a bit frightening though! Great dinosaur finish. xx

Raewyn said...

It's amazing how quickly the weather can change! The dinosaur quilt looks great - and dinosaur footprints sound like the perfect panto. That's a really good dinosaur print. I love the pussy cat too. I can quite easily believe that a quick shopping trip ended up being an all day affair!

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice finish with the dinosaur quilt, and what a cute kitty cross stitch, love the one eye peeking out.

cityquilter grace said...

dino quilt looks great! oh the cross stitch...looks like chessie, the mascot for the chesapeake railroad...can't wait to see the new stash!

Janice said...

That was quite some storm. Lucky you still had power to finish the quilting. It turned out beautifully. One little man will be very happy at Christmas. I hope you didn’t lose all the flowers on your wedding cake tree.

Susan said...

Lots happening there - perfect panto for the dino quilt. I do so admire people who can do thread painting - I can't even paint with paint well...LOL

jude's page said...

So many things to do to fill in your time Lou, good job.

kiwikid said...

Well done to keep quilting wit all that weather happening around you. That is a lot of water pouring down the windows. Shame that happens when the spring blooms are happening. That kiwi is stunning.

Chookyblue...... said...

The Storm season sure is doing it's thing.......