Thursday 26 October 2023

D Day, Two for One.

 Today was D day. Or dinosaur day!
Yesterday I went to the Pin Tin in Geraldine and purchased some end of bolts in the same fabric collection as the bundle I had scored at the charity sale.
I started out by laying the larger pieces on the floor to give myself an idea of how things would look, then just got stuck in cutting and sewing. Nothing complex I told myself, let the dinos do the work.

A quick consult with Janice and a decision was made, but first food!
While eating lunch I had a rethink and when I returned I went digging through the stash.
That works.
In a very short time I had a completed top.
And a problem.
The top is now too big for the fleece throw I had purchased to back it.
Hmm, nothing for it, I'll have to use up all the extra fabrics to create a pieced back.
LOL  So much for keeping it easy. As they are mostly fabric samples they were all different sizes. And the end of bolt left overs of course.
There was a piece that worked perfectly as the center piece/panel for the back. I started cutting and sewing and piecing and cutting and sewing some more.
I had made great progress by the time Tony got home from work.
We went out to do some garden work together, but only for an hour or so, then I was back to it. 
More progress was made, then Tony wanted feeding. 
When I got back from tea I noticed that the skinny sliver of T-Rex was upside down.
Hmmmm.
He can stay that way!
I quickly put the last two side borders on and Tada! 
The back is complete. 
And here it is. I used up even the skinniest pieces of off cuts, hence the skinny T-Rex.
The holder upper was grumpy because I had disturbed his game.
Here is a better look.
I have to say I am very happy with todays offerings. I hope Torstein is as happy as I am when he opens this one on Christmas day.
Oh and it's been inspected!
She was asleep on our bed, but appeared very soon after I spread things out on the floor of course!
So, now I just have to find the right pantograph for it.
Wish me luck.

16 comments:

Christine B said...

Looks fantastic and I am sure it will be very well received on Christmas Day! Hugs Christine xx

Jennifer said...

Love your Quilt Inspector! Good job on the quilt, Torstein will love it.

Jo said...

What a cool job with the backing. What’s even better is that you have no leftovers. You should definitely have it completed by Xmas.

Denice Barker said...

The quilt adventure is great! Torstein will love it, I'm sure. Now find a picture book to go with it and you will be a hero!

Jenny said...

The dinosaur quilt looks great! How do cats always know when we lay a quilt out? I'm sure they think it's just for them.

Fiona said...

Both the back and the front are great....
Hugz

Lin said...

Nice to use up all those scraps and the backing looks good. The front should be a winner with Torstein, it looks great! xx

jude's page said...

Love the progress photos of your process Lou, it looks great.

cityquilter grace said...

job well done....looks great too...no doubt your little one won't even notice the upside down piece...

Maria said...

Sometimes piecing backing can take longer than the front….
Both look great and Torstein will love it.

Janet O. said...

Wow, you made excellent use of every bit. And I got a kick out of the upside down T-Rex. :)
Your quilt inspector looks slightly threatening.
Good to see you on Zoom today!

Mystic Quilter said...

Great quilt, and wouldn't it just happen that the original planned backing was too small. Cats and quilts seem to go together!

Janice said...

It turned out so well. Of course Torstein will love it.

Susan said...

Well done - what lucky finds - the charity stuff and the end of bolts. I used that same border print on the dino quilt I've made...almost time for my post!

Karen S said...

That looks great. What a wonderful way to make your backing. Lots of dino fun both front and back!

Ondrea said...

I am sure Torstein will love it! Both my grandsons would. It looks fantastic. A very creative way of putting it together.