Wednesday 13 February 2019

A little stitching.

And a lot of tomatoes!
But first the stitching. Yesterday I finally found time to make a start on the stitchery part of this months 'Down in the Garden' block. This one is going to take a while I think. I managed to spend most of yesterday working on it and will hopefully find some more time today. 
As I mentioned in my last post, I have extra shifts at work and have swapped my late shift on Friday for an early, so all of that impacts on my sewing time. But I'll pick away when I can.
*
And now the tomatoes. After the cold wet spring which seemed set to continue all summer too, we have finally been getting some warmer weather here in Timaru! 
The hours of sunshine and warm temperatures have had great effect in the green house.
Look at all these tiny beauties. This variety of tomato is called sweet bite. And they live up to their name. Yum. Each fruit is just a little larger than a marble.
This yellow one is an heirloom variety of tomato. We have no idea what it's proper name is as it came in a bag of mixed seed. We just call it the 'yellow one'. LOL
They are very sweet too, though not as prolific as the sweet bites.
And as you can see below, the good old money maker vines are doing great too. (Please excuse the lunch dishes).
 Now we just need the chilli peppers to catch up. I need a dozen of them to make tomato chutney.
 Outside, the lemon tree has flowered and started to make more fruit.
 And the lime is a little further ahead and seems to have quite a lot of fruit.
Limes are currently selling here for $65 a kilo!!
Maybe I should hide my wee tree!
*
Last night Tony and I booked tickets to fly to Sydney in October. We're off to Bathurst. 
Tony said something about a big car race???? LOL
For me it's all about getting to visit my friend Jannimary, I'll also get to meet the lovely Chookyblue and visit Anni Downs store Hatched and Patched, and hopefully meet that very clever lady too. 
One other thing on my wish list is to visit Parkes and see The Dish. Have you seen the movie? It's getting to be an oldie now, but it's still very much a goodie. 
*
Right, I have the first of my extra shifts today, so I'm off to be domestic and hopefully make time to sew before I go in. 



4 comments:

Jenny said...

It's always so exciting to plan a holiday!

Karen S said...

Lovely work on your embroidery block.
And those tomatoes look great. Terrific crop. We also had the small yellow ones this year and I much prefer them to the others. They have a wonderful flavour. I don't know the name either.
How exciting to have a trip planned.

Janice said...

Your tomatoes are certainly doing better than ours. Bring on that trip to visit. Did you know that today is the 50th anniversary of the opening of the visitors centre at the Parkes Radio Telescope? What a coincidence that you should mention it today. Good luck getting everything done that you need to.

Maria said...

Your stitchery block is sew pretty to work on...
Great picking in the garden...
Oh now nice to catch up with Janice and it will be great to meet Chooky too. We visiting Bathurst a few years ago and I shopped in Anni store but sadly she wasn't there.