Monday 25 February 2019

Busy Sunday Morning.

Although the weather has had a negative impact on our efforts in the garden this year, some things have still managed to grow well. One of those was onions. Tony wanted to give them a go and we planted quite a few. A couple of weeks ago he decided after much googling that it was time to dig them up. They needed to lie in the sunshine to dry out. But, as the weather is not to be trusted this year we decided to lie them in the glass porch to dry. 
Our very own onions. I started using them in the Kitchen almost right away.
I chopped and fried some yesterday. 
Shame we don't have smellovision!! I love the smell of frying onions.
 I cheated for Saturdays dinner and bought a roast chicken from the hot deli at the supermarket. Then in the morning I cooked up the carcass and made chicken soup. Some of my fried onions went into that, along with a home grown carrot and a couple of Father in Laws home grown spuds and a handful of frozen corn. 
 Yum, we ate it for lunch along with home made bread rolls.
The remainder of the fried onions went onto my rustic tomato tart.
A layer of rich buttery, cheesy pastry is covered in onions and herbs, which is then topped with a variety of thickly sliced tomatoes, a drizzle of olive oil, some Parmesan cheese and baked in a hot oven.
Having prepped the tart in the morning while doing other chores in the kitchen and around the house, I was able to spend the entire afternoon curled up in my chair with my stitching.
I completed two more stitched panels on block two.
This little basil panel didn't take long
 The blue birds were fun to stitch and I did take short breaks to pop the tart into the oven and to eat some of it, before finishing later in the evening.
 That just leaves one small panel left to stitch.
Maybe I will get this block completed before the end of the month.
*
Must move, I have things to do, before going into work.




4 comments:

Jenny said...

Yummy, I can almost taste your tomatoe tart! Great work on your stichery too.

Ali Honey said...

The onions look really good. Hope they keep well. Not something we have ever grown but should have a go as we use lots. Spring onions do well 4 us.
Chilly up here today.

Janice said...

You can't get better than fresh food. Everything looks delicious. Keep going on your block......nearly there.

Karen S said...

So good to have your own onions. The tart looks delicious!
Well done earning some stitching time!