Monday 18 February 2019

Kitchen goings on!

I've had a busy few days with extra shifts and swapped shifts and very little time to sit and sew. Which of course means there is not much progress made on any of my projects. However in between shifts I have been very busy in the kitchen. My favourite recipe for tomato chutney has you leave chopped tomatoes and onions overnight after sprinkling them with salt.
 
So Saturday evenings task was to prepare 6 kilograms of tomatoes and 4 kilograms of onions!
Then on Sunday morning before starting an extra shift at 12.30, I added 12 chilli peppers and six capsicums, sugar and vinegar and turned it all into 22 jars of pickles.
Before I left to go to work I set up the bread maker on a dough cycle and asked Tony to finish off making burger buns to have with dinner.
I think he did alright. Yes I know, they are all different shapes and sizes, but they were light and fluffy and a great size to hold one of his home made burgers.
We had stopped using our bread maker for a while and only recently started again. Typically we only use the dough cycle and once that is done one of us forms a loaf shape or pops it into a tin and bakes it in the oven. That way we get a much better shaped loaf and there is no hole where the mixing paddle would be if we allowed the machine to bake it.  
Once our dinner was eaten and we had cleaned up, we went out to the garden for a look around and of course visited the green house.
We brought in another large bowl of fruit and our first ripe chilli pepper!!
There are many more out there, but they are still all green, hopefully more will ripen soon.
I won't have time to stitch today, but I have two days off this week, so hopefully I'll be able to make up for missing out recently.
Time to be domestic, before heading into work.

5 comments:

Janice said...

Yummo! That chutney looks delicious. Our tomatoes haven't done very much this year. The weather has been just too crazy and we are only getting enough for everyday use. I think I will have to actually buy some to make preserves.

Ali Honey said...

You are doing what we are doing.
I use my bread maker ( tho not often enough ) in a similar way. Try foccacia Bread, it turns out well.

Maria said...

You have been very busy in the kitchen and the buns look lovely..
Hope you get a little stitching through the week.

Jenny said...

There's nothing nicer than home made, chutney and buns both look delicious.

Karen S said...

Lovely to see all those jars of chutney. Delicious.
And the thought of fresh bread makes me hungry.