Tuesday 29 September 2020

Long weekend progress

Yesterday was a public holiday for some of us here in New Zealand.
Only those of us in South Canterbury though, it was our anniversary day.
Yay! No work, which meant an extra day at home with Tony and extra time to do some more slow stitching.
But first we got busy in the kitchen.
We made a bacon and egg pie and with the leftover pastry whipped up a quick Quiche Lorraine for our lunch.
Not the tidiest of pie crusts, that's what happens when I leave Tony in charge of that! LOL
I'm sure it will taste just fine.
Next up was Chocolate and walnut brownies.
This time the slightly overdone edges is down to me, I left it in the oven a little too long.
we have a not so gooey brownie.
But it does still taste great. Tony will be taking a slice each day in his lunchbox. I think he is enjoying having yummy slices in there each day.
We also put a beef curry into the slow cooker. It was delicious and the meat was very tender by the time we got around to eating dinner last night. And there are left overs for lunches. What could be better?
So once we had cleaned up in the kitchen we each wandered to our crafts. Tony did some painting in his room 'Red October' is coming along and the scale model is taking almost as long to build as a real submarine takes I'm sure! LOL
Meanwhile I got busy with some more slow stitching. I have another Christmas Ornament finished. One more and I'm up to date. Yay!
I'm almost up to date on Gail Pan's I Stitch project too.
Here is August
July
And June
September should hopefully be finished before bed time tonight. The long weekend, really did help me get caught up some more. 
I'll get the first two rows of I stitch sewn together soon and take a pic of them all.
They do look lovely.
I have made a change though. 
If you look here you'll see that there is supposed to be a border of circles on squares around the outside edge of the quilt top. I was never really happy with them. I'm not sure if it's my chosen method of making them, or my fabric choices, or what!!  But I wasn't happy with them. I noticed the other day, that another participant had posted on the FB group that she hadn't sewn them as she didn't like them. She had opted for a different border. Encouraged by some one else's rebellion, I sat down and un picked the border I had done so far. I'll revisit the border idea, once the rest of the project is complete. It does look so much better without those circles. Pictures next time.
*
The storm that was supposed to hit New Zealand did arrive, but here in Timaru we were lucky and dodged the worst of it. It was good to have the excuse to stay indoors a sew though.





 

11 comments:

Lin said...

Looks like delicious baking going on in your kitchen! Your slow stitching is coming along nicely. xx

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

your I stitch project is just lovely!! and all that yummy food sounds heavenly!!

Jenny said...

Mmm, bacon and egg pie, havent made one of those for ages!
Pleased you got lots of stitching done.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You two make quite the team! Yummy food and treats too.
I looked back at the circles for the border; it reminded me of a project I did a few years ago with Quilty Folk where we made a circle a day for 365 days. I think you are right, that it is unnecessary as a border. There are so many neat border treatments to choose from. Meanwhile, lovely embroidery with the blocks...it is all special.

Cheryll said...

I really LoVe the colours in your project...so pretty.
And your pies & brownies look yuMMo...xox

Fiona said...

Yummy eats, my hubby also has a model going .. he is doing HMS Victory.... like in your house the real thing was probably done in quicker time! haha....
I am up to date in the stitcheries for GAil's BOM... until a couple of days when the next lot come but I haven't put the last 2 blocks together.... I think I will do all 3 at once...
Hugz

Maria said...

I'm coming over your place for lunch and dinner,,
Pretty stitching happening..

kiwikid said...

Such nice food being made in your kitchen , Tony will have a happy lunch box! Your stitcheries and blocks are beautiful.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Lou wow your lovely cooking is making me hungry and i love your stitching blocks,well done my friend xx

Flickenstichlerin said...

lovely stitching, adore Gail Pan's designs.

dq said...

I never get brownies right. They are either a bit gooey or too hard. That is ok though, I don't chocolate makes me feel yucky, and I avoid it mostly.

Happy anniversary! I think it is pretty special that he helped you make the pies.