Friday 30 October 2020

A Morning Out

Tony and I both have a day off today, so we decided to make the most of it and took ourselves off to Temuka for the morning.  It's not far, just 10 - 15 Minutes North of Timaru. A smallish town.
We visited primarily to shop at the local butcher. We have heard good reports and wanted to try for ourselves. We came home with a few different bits to try out. While we were there we planned to have lunch which we did, then a saunter along the street. There are no craft shops, though the curtain shop does sell yarn. There does seem to be lots of Antique/junk/previously loved/op shops though and we visited them all, in search of an orange coffee mug, with spots...
For those of you who are not in the know, a certain bloggers husband has a chip out of his, and would like a replacement, so many bloggers are on the lookout. LOL
Sadly we didn't find that particular treasure, but we did find others.
This adorable little sewing machine was in one of the windows. Sadly it is broken and has a resident spider!
It didn't come home with me, but I couldn't resist a picture.
Another photo opportunity was this adorable child's commode chair.
If I had $250 to spare it would have come home with me. Wouldn't it look so sweet with a teddy or a doll sitting comfortably?
The last store we visited had loads of crafting books and magazines. While Tony perused the man cave section, I got chance to have a good browse and found this one.
There are some lovely designs which will be good for scrappy quilts.
And at only $3 it was a great bargain.
*
When we got home, I got busy in the kitchen, making up lunch boxes and of course a new slice for Tony. It's in the oven as I type.
I'll try to get a photo, before he eats it all.
*
I've been busy sewing away at some secret stuff, over the last few days, so no photo report, sorry.
With two more days off I'm hoping to have plenty of time to get some pictures of projects for my next blog post.
*
I also visited the post office today, to send my secret ornaments to the family in the UK.

😲

HOW MUCH!!?
I know less travel means fewer flights and they have to make money somehow, but seriously $25 for one Christmas card and one lightweight ornament?
The rest of the Christmas items for the UK will be bought online at Amazon.uk and sent direct.


 

8 comments:

Maria said...

A lovely way to spend your day out together and I'm looking forward to seeing a Scrappy Quilt made from the magazine...
WOW! that's an expensive card and ornie.......

Karen S said...

Looks like you had a lovely day.

Gail said...

How fun! I remember shopping, haven't done any for a LONG time! Amazon is surely better than all that postage BUT you can't send any of your lovely work that way! Too Bad.

Jenny said...

Overseas postage seems to be getting more and more expensive, but $25, really! It's almost not worth posting gifts overseas, but with no air travel on the horizon for a while, what to do?

Chookyblue...... said...

It's a very ornate machine. Bugger about the resident spider and that is broken........
Sounds like a nice little trip out.....
Freights becoming insane.....

kiwikid said...

Wonderful trip out, I had a complete Temuka pottery dinner set at one stage, the plates now live with #2 son but I have oven dishes and casserole dishes 😀. Lots of op shops to browse in would be enjoyable, the book was a great find, that machine is cute, shame it is broken.

dq said...

It sounds like you had a nice day out!

Janice said...

Isn't it fun to just have a day moseying around a small town. It was nice that you were searching for a certain mug. If it wasn't too dear, I would have still been thinking of bringing that cute little machine home, just for an ornament, but I dare say it wasn't cheap if it was still there long enough to have its own resident spider. Ouch! That postage is getting a but up there. No wonder the likes of Amazon do so much business.