Monday 1 August 2022

The weekend that was.

I left you on Friday, with this image.
I was full of optimism that I would have plenty of time to play over the weekend and that I would get the quilting completed on this project quite quickly. 
Boy was I wrong!
I had plenty of time and was busily quilting away and having fun. I stopped to have a chat with Chooky, because I can't quilt and chat at the same time, once the chat was over, I emptied another bobbin and then things went down hill fast.
No fair.
My top thread kept snapping every 2-3 inches of quilting. I was stopping and starting, burying threads and changing bobbins and re threading the top thread over and over and nothing seemed to help. I kept telling myself, one more try then walk away, but had a lot more tries. LOL
Tony appeared wondering what was going on, all the stopping and starting couldn't be a good thing.
He prescribed open heart surgery and took the machine off the frame.
There was some fluff in the bottom, but not lots.
There was some more fluff caught in the greasy underparts too.
Blogger, why did you turn my photo upside down?
After a good clean with a soft brush and the vacuum cleaner,
everything was reassembled and I tried again, within seconds the thread snapped.
AAARRGH!
But I persevered, and rethreaded again and again.
Eventually after open heart surgery and three hours of frustration all came good.
I don't know how or why, I certainly didn't change anything that I was doing, but the machine stopped snapping my thread and I was able to carry on quilting.
But it was now pretty late in the day and time to get ready to go and meet friends for dinner. 
I continued to quilt on Sunday morning without problems.
Until the bobbins ran out!
What a frustrating place for the bobbin to run out. LOL
I quickly wound just a small amount of thread on to another bobbin and finished that last little bit. 
I was able to take it off the frame before lunch.
Here is a look at the quilting, front and back. 
I ended up using two different colours of thread for the back, as I am using up leftovers from other projects but that's ok. 
All of the excitement was too much for Miss Belle, she had to take a nap.
Problem with that is, she was resting on the dust cover for the machine.
It would be nice to say I'll get the binding on today, but sadly I don't have the perfect fabric in my stash. I had to go shopping.
I know, shame.
I've ordered what I hope will be perfect, it should be here in a day or two.
What will I do to keep myself busy until it gets here?
I'm sure I'll find something. I managed to keep myself busy on Sunday afternoon with cutting fabrics for the next batch of Churn dash blocks and then I prepared some more Lucy papers and even sewed another border block in to the Lucy quilt top.
*
My working week is all messed up this week as I have swapped two of my shifts with a colleague. I must attend the funeral of a friends father today and then help that same friend celebrate her birthday, and my own, on Friday. And I need to get on with some study and make time to play.
*
I hope your weekend was as successful as mine, without the frustration.

 

12 comments:

Jeanette said...

Glad you got the machine sorted & you could get your quilting finished. The quilt looks lovely.

dq said...

Way to persevere! Sometimes it is tension or a needle or the thread doesn't work well with the needle. It is no fun!

Jennifer said...

Oh, that is frustrating....but goood that the machine decided to behave itself and you could continue. Well done!

Lin said...

Well done for persevering - I'm not sure I would have! From what I can see it was worth it though so I am looking forward to seeing this in it's entirety once the binding is on. xx

Karen S said...

Congrats on getting it finished after persevering so well with all the thread breakages. So frustrating. But well worth the lovely finish.

ButterZ said...

Yes that is very frustrating but I am glad it has worked out in the end. Great job

Maria said...

So many problems with this quilting , happy it all worked in the end.
Hope you have a good week.

Radka said...

Sometimes machines just have mind of its own; it seems that you did win in the end :-)

Rose Marie said...

How frustrating for you, but glad your machine sorted itself out and is working fine again.

kiwikid said...

Oh that is very frustrating for you, interesting how it just came right!!

jude's page said...

Glad it came ok in the end, but prob frustrating in that you don't know what the problem was.

Janice said...

Don’t you hate that!! At least it came good in the end. Goin it if v try ibb B dinner was z as good way to end the day after all that frustration.