Wednesday 4 January 2023

A BIG finish and a broken resolution.

I blame Chooky.

I didn't say it out loud, but I had quietly committed to myself that I would spend a minimum of 15 minutes a day in my sewing room in an effort to take the focus away from my cross stitch and keep some other things moving along. I have mentioned previously that I found time on Christmas day to add some sashing strips to the second batch of churndash blocks and on 1st of January I got the fist row put together. Yay! Go me. I also made a start on some quilting. More on that in a few moments. 
Then later that day I spent some time zooming with Chooky, so put away my cross stitch and pulled out Lucy until it was time to go to work, adding the pieces that took me around the final corner on the edge. The end was very close indeed. 
I slept in on the 2nd and awoke to find another zoom invitation. 
Still in my jammies and with my hair un brushed,  it was in that session that I finished Lucy.
Here she is, a night time picture with the Christmas tree twinkling away.
Now to figure out how to quilt her.
Of course there was still some zoom session left......I felt a little lost without Lucy.
What to do.......?
I pulled out a UFO that has been waiting for me since February 2021. So not terribly old by some standards, but old enough to bug me.
This is a BOM by Gail Pan called Bring me flowers.
Of course I'm stitching it in blue.
Januarys pieces were all done and this one had been started, so I finished it before it was time to head off to work.
So of course all of that meant that I did not spend 15 mins or more working on the churndash top.
Hmmm.
I made up for it on the 3rd, getting another row sewn on.
I was there for way over 15 mins trying to get rid of that wave, right in the middle.
I pinned and sewed and unpicked so many times the fabric is getting tired so I decided in the end to leave it and hope to quilt it out.
Today should see the final row put on and maybe tomorrow I'll get some borders added too.
I mentioned quilting at the start of this blog post and here it is.
I had also quietly committed to getting some of my many finished tops quilted and like the churndash that commitment was put aside in favour of zooming. LOL
But progress has been made.
I took this photo when I had stopped on the 1st, before sitting down to cross stitch.
It has since progressed even further. Hopefully today it will be finished and I can get some binding on to it.
Then I might put Lucy on to the frame.
I had planned to do some straight line quilting on her, but now .........???

Watch this space.

Cross stitch?
Snowy St Nick has progressed too, I'll get an updated image soon.
Today was Lucys big day.

18 comments:

Jeanette said...

That stitchery BOM is next on my list to finish after the Christmas one. I've done it in blues too. :)

Janice said...

Woo hoo!! Congratulations on getting your Lucy top finished.
You are a powerhouse when it comes to EPP progress. Will you start another EPP project now? I’m sure you will resume those allocated time in your sewing room. Both quilts are looking good. The Gail Pan project will be an ideal Zoom project.

ButterZ said...

Fantastic update and show n tell. You have done a wonderful job on Lucy. That was a big job. Happy to zoom along with you.

kiwikid said...

Congratulations on finishing Lucy!! Well done!!

Jennifer said...

Yay for Lucy! She is gorgeous.....well done, Lou.

Christine B said...

Congratulations on getting Lucy finished! I think you have made a great start to your creative year 2023 and I hope you have many more finishes! Hugs Christine xx

Denice Barker said...

Lucy is gorgeous. I'm a blue person (though you'd not know it by the quilts I do) and you plugged along to get her done. It's beautiful!!

Fiona said...

Lucy is just lovely, and I love your Blue flower stitching. Great to get on with the quilting too.... you are starting the year with great aplomb....

Hugz

Lin said...

Lucy looks wonderful! Congratulations. Nice progress on your other projects too. xx

jude's page said...

Love that Lucy matches nicely with your blue tree!! And I am sure that the quilter will be able to get that wave under control!! Look forward to seeing what you quilt on Lucy.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Ohhh Lucy is so lovely!!
as is the quilt on your frame!!!

cityquilter grace said...

yay!!! love love love lucy....and oh the stitchery too...good going lou!

dq said...

Look at you go girl! Lucy is AMAZING as is your stitchery. I loved seeing the quilt on the machine as well. Just enjoy.

Susan said...

Lucy looks really good . . .I am tempted to do one - but might hold off for another year yet!
I have more than a few things I really want to finish and as long as I have some hand work (I do have a large sashiko project) I am all set for Zoom.



Susan said...

Lucy looks terrific - Im sure you will get ot the quilting soon - esp with your own long arm machine!

I am tempted to do one - but might wait til 2024...I am currently looking at my very long list of "to be finished" and "want to do" so don't need another project.

Karen S said...

So Many lovely projects but I love seeing Lucy finished.
What a stunning quilt top!

Jindi's Cottage said...

Yay...Congratulations on getting Lucy's top finished...she is beautiful...

Rose Marie said...

Wonderful work on LUCY! When I finish an EPP project, I'm lost, but you have lots of projects to keep you from feeling that way. The quilt on the frame is sweet and so is your embroidery.