Friday 21 April 2023

Scrub Stitchin'. Part five, My progress and a look around the camp.

Travelling all the way from New Zealand, I didn't take along my own sewing machine. The lovely Janice stepped in there again and loaned me this wee beauty. I'm sure Janice said she belonged to her mother.
She sewed along very nicely and it did not take long to get familiar with her.
This cute little Elna and I sewed up a storm, completing six of the eight rows needed for Tula Pinks Anchors Aweigh quilt top.
Thanks to Pat for helping me hold it up and thanks also to whoever had my phone and took pictures.
I hope to have a completed top very soon.
*
On the flight to Australia the luggage tag on my suitcase was smashed to bits, so a replacement was needed. A pattern/tutorial was found on Pinterest and once again Janice to the rescue, she knew exactly which box to dive into in order to find the perfect fabric and she even had a spare piece of vinyl for the window.
Gail, who sat beside me all weekend suggested that I don't expose my address to the whole world and told me about a clever comment on her luggage lable....
Hmmmmm..... This seemed appropriate.
LOL
*
Sadly Covid reared it's ugly head and my friend and benefactor Janice was one of those who succumbed. So I spent a lovely afternoon sitting outside and socially distant with her while we both got on with a little hand sewing.
I created a blob!
It will become a pair of rosellas.
Just look at where we were sat!
Camp Cypress is beautiful.
With space for vans and tents between the trees.
And just four cabins. Each cabin has a kitchenette and four bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms.
There were plenty of birds flying about, we could hear them all day long. Though none sat still long enough for a photo.
This fellow did though.
Sticky the stick insect hung out on the wheel arch of the caravan for a few days.
He was huge, 6-7 inches long. 
He took himself off the night before we left.
*
Not sure if there is more to say and show.
I might be finished, or I might be back. 

13 comments:

ButterZ said...

It is a lovely spot to sit a relax. Stick was interesting.

Lin said...

Great work on your anchor. Love the luggage label and it looks like a beautiful place to stay. xx

Jenny said...

Anchors Aweigh looks amazing, guess you are making this for someone special?

Pink Rose said...

Hi Loulee wow great to see you had a lovely time,I was sad to hear Janice got Covid ,she is a lovely lady and she looked after you well,your anchor quilt is amazing ,well done on everything you achieved while at retreat,hope you liked what you saw of Australia 🌹🤍🌹

jude's page said...

Amazing pic of the stick insect, and that you noticed it, and it stayed for so long. Lovely camp photos, it was a great venue for the retreat.

Mystic Quilter said...

I have yet to read through all your amazing posts from your trip but from what I was able to read for a few minutes looked like you had an amazing time. I did spot the colourful biscornu, just beautiful!

Janet O. said...

Congrats on making a blob! LOL
What great shots around the camp. It helps me get an idea of the accommodations.
That stick insect has great timing, and you got a great photo!
It has been fun to journey through. this experience with you.

Chookyblue...... said...

I always feel so relaxed and calm at Camp Cypress....its a beautiful spot.......love the anchor quilt......

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Camp Cypress looks so beautiful, an ideal getaway. What a job you are doing of the Anchor piece. Wow. You relaxed and stitched and had such a great time! Envious!

dq said...

I was able to meet sticky the stick as well when I went out to visit Janice. I wish I had had handwork to stay out and sew with you two.

Janice said...

You were very productive. I’m glad Mum’s machine performed well. It’s a lovely spot for a retreat.

kiwikid said...

Camp Cypress is a beautiful place isn't it. Raewyn and I have decided next time we will take a cuppa outside at some stage and enjoy rather than being inside all day. Stick certainly was huge! Clever label for your bag.

Raewyn said...

Your blobby stitching - I can see - will be lovely - nice colours, of course! I was often wondering "what bird is that!" Next time when Sue and I sit out in the sun (or shade? whatever the case will be) I'll have to have some sort of ID app loaded so I can work them out! I agree, the setting for Camp Cypress is lovely.