Tuesday 4 April 2023

I played with fabric and made a 'something'.

But first......
A Santa update. this first photo was taken very early in March, before he was put aside in favour of some secret stuff.
And this is where I left him last night
The bottom of his cloak has appeared and as I mentioned last time, a very unexciting snow drift. There are a few different colours in there, all very pale and all are blended to two different colours in each stitch. It feels like there is a lot of it and I'm over it.  Usually by this stage of a project I'm daydreaming about the next project, but that hasn't happened yet. Maybe because I know there is still hours of back stitch to do after I complete the cross stitch.
*
Now about the fabric..
I went in to my room with the intention of playing with my scrappy triangles, last seen back in July.  You know where this is going right?
I ended up opening a completely different drawer and pulling out a completely different bundle of fabric.
Although she wasn't a quilter mum used to enjoy coming with me to the big quilt show in Birmingham UK. She also bought fabrics and gave them to me, asking me to make 'something'.  I did make her some 'somethings' with some of those fabrics. A purple bundle was added to and went in to a quilt for GD Charmaine a couple of years ago. Other fabric bundles have sat waiting.... This is one of those bundles.
Mum loved wildlife, like me she would sit and watch David Attenborough all day long, so no surprise that she would chose this bundle. Just a tiny bundle of pre cut squares. Though they were not very well cut. I don't recall which vendor she purchased them from, but I am shocked that they would be sold looking like this.
It seems that yesterday was their day. In no time I had them all trimmed to the same size, with nice neat edges.
Next I cut some strips of coordinating batik.
And Voila! 
A cute wee top.
I'll finish it in to a wall hanger for my boy Joe. He mentioned a while ago that he would like 'something' to keep his pin/badge collection together. 
I think maybe his pins could go in the sashing strips between the animals and he will have something of his Nana's. 
There is another similar bundle that just might get similar treatment.
I too have a collection of pins and badges.
This guy might upset the balance a little, being the only circular motif.
*
I see lots of red peeping through the leaves in the green house, time to go and collect chili again!
I might need to make another batch of Evil chilli chutney. LOL
Have a great day.

 

15 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

It looks great!

jude's page said...

Well done for making something with those squares. I have something similar, but they are of farm animals and they have been waiting for quite a while!!

Lin said...

Nice progress on Santa and great use of those wild blocks. xx

Raewyn said...

You are making good progress on your Santa, Lou. Soon you will be able to start dreaming of the next one..! Your 'something' for pins and badges is a great idea - I had an interesting time rummaging in a cupboard today, finding all sorts of things :-)

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Dear Santa getting his cloak...awesome! And what a productive time you had in the sewing room though unintended. That batik is perfect for those blocks. Of course, being a wildlife lover, I adore these blocks like your Mom did. Watched an episode of David just yesterday!

Janet O. said...

That Santa is a pretty intense design. Very impressive progress.
I like what you did with the wildlife squares your Mum bought.
That is interesting that in the second group of animals there is one, lone circle. Go figure.

Jenny said...

Nice job using those tiny little panels.

Susan said...

Always good to use stuff that has meaning.

Perhaps your circular piece can go in the middle of whatever you make and just use 9 of them . . ..

Mystic Quilter said...

I'm a wild life lover all my life and always a fan of David Attenborough so I love how you've used these blocks, beautiful African wild life! Then of course our UK wild life - I do miss our native creatures, especially the owls, squirrels and foxes.
Bet you're really pleased you opened a different drawer!

Janice said...

How nice to finally use your Mum’s fabrics

Chookyblue...... said...

special memories from those fabrics.....

kiwikid said...

Santa is coming along really well. Love what you have done with the animal blocks.

Ondrea said...

How clever are you! A wonderful idea with those fabrics.

Karen S said...

T Santa stitching is looking wonderful and is growing well.
Great work with the blocks, too.

cityquilter grace said...

great idea....cute and functional!