Monday 22 May 2023

Almost two weeks since I wrote.

 As you may have guessed, life continues to get in the way.  But I continue to pick away slowly at various projects. Here you see my winter crochet project. A yummy woollen blanket in the making.
I did some of it during a recent and impromptu zoom session with Chooky.
I've just had my weekend off work and Saturday saw me heading out on a bus trip with the Timaru Patchworkers club. One of our members has an exhibition in the art gallery in Ashburton, about an hour up the road.
As you moved around the gallery, the colours grew. 
While this improv style is not my style at all, I can still appreciate Rachael's use of colour and quilting.
In places her quilting lines looked like brush strokes in paint.
There were also some screen printed panels incorporated into the pieces.
Here she is, the artist herself. 
It was good to have her with us. She told us about her process and the thoughts behind them. She said it was great having us ask questions and give feedback as it would help when she has to give a talk at the gallery later this week.
Of course as we were there we had to look around the rest of the gallery.
I took pictures of one or two pieces that caught my eye.
This amazing carved and painted Kakapo was amazing, he looked incredibly life like.
These ceramics also caught me eye. 
I think the colours and simplicity and variety of the designs caught my eye. 
Of course no day out would be complete without a little shopping. We started the day at the pin tin in Geraldine, then a visit to an op shop in Mayfield, where I met this cute wee kitty.
No, she does not belong to the shop, but waits each day for the doors to open, then strolls in and finds a good spot for the day. LOL
And finally a visit to Annie's country quilt store.
Yes, I shopped. I'll get pics of my purchases soon.
I continue to deal with the offerings from the garden.
The chilli plants have slowed but are still producing.
And I believe I mentioned that the feijoas are now producing a bowlful every day. I've been baking feijoa and date loaves for the freezer. Later today I'll deliver a bag full of fruit to Debbie.
*
I've also made time to play with a few scraps of fabric and get some smaller items ready for binding, more about those another time. Right now I'm off to cross stitch for an hour before work.

13 comments:

Jeanette said...

Love your crochet project, the colours are pretty. Interesting exhibit. Feijoa & date loves sound yummy.

Lin said...

What a stunning exhibition - I love how those pieces change as you go around. Not my style of quilting either but I do love looking at pieces like that. What a great day out. xx

Karen S said...

What a great way to spend a day!
And your crochet blanket is looking great.

Jennifer said...

What an interesting gallery - love the exhibitions! That kitty knows what she wants from life, doesn't she.

Maria said...

Nice cosy blanket on your needles.
Improv isn’t my thing either but it’s an interesting exhibition .
Wonder what you bought on your trip.

Janice said...

As you say, you have continued to be busy. Surely those chillies must run out soon. That is one very talented member of your guild. It was good you could all go up to see her exhibition and make a real day of it. The kitty sure has the life. I look forward to seeing what you purchased and have been working on. Your latest crochet looks nice and toasty.

kiwikid said...

Lovely post Lou, great blanket, your day out looked really interesting. The Kakapo is stunning!! Love how cats just make themselves home! I wish our feijoa tree was producing, it is not even growing much at present.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

What a beautiful quilt exhibit. Stunning work and a lovely way to spend your day.

Fiona said...

The time does seem to dash by .... the blanket is looking lovely....
Hugz

Susan said...

Interesting finds in the Art Gallery - I do admire the quilting in those pieces.
And of course, you had to shop!

Chookyblue...... said...

Lots happening here...... Always wonderful to talk to the creator to get more insite into a project......

dq said...

How nice of you to get to go on a bus trip with quilty friends. I didn't expect the artwork on the walls to be quilts. I can't believe the lovely/tight quilting in them.

Raewyn said...

Your crochet is lovely - looks apt for this time of the year! It sounds like a great day out - like you I can appreciate the art and so good to have the artist with you for the insights. Interesting that you were still getting feijoas in May - ours were totally gone by the time I got back from Scrub stitching!