Wednesday 26 February 2020

A Leap and a bound!!

 I feel like I have made great progress over the last couple of days.
My blocks are finally complete, with their green panels on each side.
I only just made it, before the spool ran out!
Before doing anything else, before I even pressed them I did some de fluffing on my machine. Why is it that sewing scraps causes more fluff than any other cut of fabric?
All of the blocks had a little extra green, I had enough in each WOF to cut generously, so I left the selvedges on and each piece had an extra half inch..
Then it was time to press them all open. Finally I could see completed blocks.
The green has tamed the chaos of all those different fabrics and the riot of colours.
Having grown heartily fed up with what seemed an endless marathon sewing them all together, I fell in love with the completed and pressed blocks and couldn't wait to spread them out on the design floor. I did wonder if I might have to have a shuffle about.
No shuffling required.
Then came the quandary.
7x7 blocks or 6x8 blocks?
Either way, there would be an issue.
Too big for my frame or I would have to do some cutting and patching of batting!!
After a messenger 'chat' with Janice and lots of chat with Tony.......
I went to bed a slept on it.
Then this morning I decided on the 6x8 layout.
Just up to our chins, but plenty of width, so no one gets cold on a winter night.
Cut and piece the batting it is.
So in my 15 Minutes +++ before work today I put the first quarter of a quilt top together. (See five past eight, I was out of the door ten minutes later).
I'm loving this and will be getting back to it this evening, just as soon as I'm done here.
Hmm, just the small matter of the backing to address......
*
In the garden...
There are more tomatoes!
Of course there are more tomatoes.
I wish my chillies would change colour, they remain stubbornly green.
And over the weekend we harvested 30 corn cobs.
I wasn't fast enough with the camera, sorry I was busy with tomatoes and only got these last few before Tony got them bagged and vacuumed for the freezer.
*
I have some emails to respond to, then I'm off to play.

I hope your progress feels as good as mine.


9 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Loulee, your quilt top looks fabulous - I love the green borders.

Janice said...

The quilt is coming together nicely. Having a solid contrast ties it all together. I do miss garden fresh corn. We always grew quite a bit in our previous garden as it freezes so well. Do you blanch it first or just pop them straight in the freezer?

Maria said...

Your Flip Flop Scrap blocks look great and you must have done extra blocks as im only doing 5 X 7. Perfect size for hubby's lounge quilt. I bought blue for sashing and hopefully the backing too.
Delicious harvest from the garden...

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it sounds like your garden has been going great! the quilt looks great too. thanks for the reminder on the machine I probably need to check for dust bunnies too

Jenny said...

Wonderful colorful blocks, and the green strips seem just right to tie all that riot of colour together. Looks like a marathon sewing effort getting all those little squares together.

Ali Honey said...

A sensible decision with the quilt top.
Our tomatoes are slowing now nearly over. The chillies are ripe and drying on the ledge in the back of the old car stood in the sun( to dry them out ).
Corn long finished. A few courgettes still and a second round of beans. Apples and pears dropping off trees. Plums just finished.WE need more rain!
Happy sewing.

Fiona said...

Your quilt looks great, I love the patches and that green... so good to have the produce from your garden.. it always tastes better...
Hugz

Karen S said...

Great result. The blocks look wonderful together.

Kate said...

The green does make a great accent and eye rest from the colorful blocks. It's a very happy and colorful project. Congrats on all the progress.