Thursday 6 February 2020

Waitangi Day...

Today is a national holiday here in New Zealand.
If you want to know more, have a look here.
Of course, that means a day off work.  Tony and I agreed that we would spend the day at home together pottering in our craft rooms.
I spent most of the morning trotting between the kitchen and my room as I had another pan of relish burbling away on the stove.
Courgette and capsicum this time.
 While that did it's thing in the kitchen, I made three orange butterflies for the RSC.
 I wasn't sure I would be able to find enough orange for this months blocks, and was amazed to find three of them hiding amid my scraps and larger off cuts.
Once that was done and the completed blocks were tucked away safely in their box, I turned to my other scrap project.
My flip flop scraps are growing. Yesterday before work I had pressed the most recent seams and prepared the blocks for the next row of fabrics. They were sewn on this morning, while the relish continued to bubble away.
I even had time to tuck them away into a new box before I had to return to the kitchen.
So, about the box. When I visited Janice last year I noted that she had some very pretty boxes with fabrics and things stashed away in them.
They looked so lovely, I wanted me some of those. So I started to visit the dollar stores and now have just enough for my projects....well, maybe I'll need a couple more! LOL
 I fell in love with this one, those pretty greeny blue feathers will keep my flip flop scraps tidily tucked away.
Here are the others, all tidily piled in the corner, keeping their projects safe.
The blue feathers fit under the pink seahorse. It's a little larger than I realised, but thats OK, those scrappy blocks will become quite big.
Sew, with that comleted I headed back to the kitchen to find my relish ready to go into hot jars.
I now have nine jars cooling in the kitchen. 
This afternoon I plan to spend in the sitting room, I might invite Sir David Attenborough and the Natural World to join me as I work on this months secret Christmas project.
But before I do that, I just remembered I promised that I would share my I Stitch block for February.
Did I tell you that the name of the finished quilt will be Wish You Well.
I have again used my precious Fig Tree Fabrics off cuts and left overs. I don't think I'll get away with using just leftovers and had a dig through my stash of figgy fabrics and pulled out some fat quarters to add to the pile.
This project and it's wee collection of fabrics lives in the poppy box, under the pink one where the finished butterflies are hibernating.
Typical, just as I'm about to move out of this seat, she moves in!
Too bad kitty kat! My hip is sore and it's time to move!

12 comments:

Maria said...

Happy Waitangi Day... looks like you are really enjoying your day off between cooking and sewing.
Lovely orange butterfly blocks.
I also have those boxes for my projects and they a great...
Pretty block you've stitched for Feb.

Janice said...

You made good use of your day at home. I love your pretty pile of boxes. Easy to find your projects while keeping them tidy. Enjoy wonton your decoration.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love using these decorative boxes to keep all my scraps and my pre-cuts in it is so easy to grab a box to search rather then dumping out a bag

Jenny said...

Pretty orange butterflies. Do you realise that your latest batch of chutney cooking away looks rather like the colours in your previous green and current orange butterflies? I rather like your and Janices idea about the pretty boxes to store things, guess I'll soon be hunting for some for myself. Thanks for the tip.

Ali Honey said...

I share your love of colourful beautiful boxes.

kiwikid said...

Happy Waitangi Day. Those boxes are wonderful for your projects. Lovely blocks you are working on.

Karen S said...

You really made the most of your day at home with cooking and stitching. Lovely result.
Love the gorgeous boxes for keeping your projects. They look lovely.

Kate said...

You made very good use of your day off. Love the Wish you Well project, that's so very pretty.

The Joyful Quilter said...

ORANGE scraps in your Butterflies and orange in your sweet Wish You Well quilt, too! SEW lovely!!

dq said...

Loulee, I love the boxes you store your pieces in. They look so tidy and pretty.

Your Fig Tree Fabrics quilt is so so so darling. So much so that I want to make one. I am going to hold back though. I need to finish NOT start.

What do you put in your relish recipe? I plan to make some this harvest and would like to sample new recipes.

Cheryll said...

Your Wish you Well projects looks beautiful.
Happy Holiday too...xox

Lin said...

Your boxes look very smart and neat. I have mine in plastic boxes - not so ethical but I can see whats in them! xx