Wednesday 25 March 2020

The new normal.

I'd like to say that normal service has returned, but it just hasn't, nor will it!
Life is going to be very different for the whole world, for quite some time I think.
So it's time to find a new normal.
At the moment, the new normal for me seems to include waking at some point in the wee small dark hours. Giving up trying to get back to sleep, so getting up and knitting a few rows, before returning to bed to try again!
My companion is not very good company. After the initial 'what are you doing up' look last night she stood up, stretched, yawned and wrapped her paw over her eyes and went back to sleep. If only I found it that easy.
Sewing wise, I cut out the RSC block pieces on Sunday, I didn't sew on Monday, but on Tuesday morning I gave myself a kick in the backside and got on and made one block, even though I was exhausted and wanted to stay in bed to make up for the midnight knitting.
This morning I made the second. Just one left for tomorrow morning.
Then I'll have to find something else to do in the mornings.
*
One norm that has survived from the old routines is preserving.
What to do with a whole heap of Red Hot Chilli Peppers?
 Preserve them of course.
Don't breath over the pan!! The steam was lethal!
The recipe is Evil Chilli Chutney!
It even looks evil. And in it's younger state it is evil.
But as it matures in the jar it really does improve.
There are plenty more chillis still to ripen, weather permitting.
Though this recipe can be made with green chillis too.
I'm happy to share if anyone has a glut of chillis and loves the heat!!
*
Work will change too, for a while at least.
NZ will go into lockdown tonight.
The government is asking everyone who is not essential to stay at home, and work from home.
As OCS is primarily a cleaning company here in Timaru.
And we clean many of the essential services, we have to remain open.
My role as admin has changed somewhat, but I'll still have to go to work three days a week, beginning next week.
So, I'll have two extra days at home to play!!!
And maybe even blog a little more often.
*
Be safe everyone, stay home if you can, stay away from other people.
Wash, wash, wash your hands.
Lets get together here in blogland as often as we can and support each other in this new normal.



9 comments:

Kate said...

There has been a lot of change in the last couple of weeks. We've been working from home since last Wednesday, but are on call to go in should we need to provide support ot the rest of the company.

Janice said...

It’s good to find something normal to focus on at the moment - like chilies. Yep, they look,lethal. No, I definitely don’t want that recipe. Bella looks like she is hiding from the world, with her head tucked under her paw. I hope you get to have some better nights sleep soon and keep on stitching.

Lin said...

Your teal blocks look great! There will soon be another colour to play with. Midnight knitting - much better than counting sheep I am sure. Stay safe and well. xx

Jenny said...

A little preserving, a little sewing, and you are still going to work, although that has changed too. Keeping our minds and hands busy seems the way to go these days. I have tried a couple of new recipes over the last few days, not always successful, sadly. Have to wonder why the finished product often doesn't always look like the photo?

Fiona said...

having to learn to roll with the punches now.... glad we have lovely sewing to distract …. take care

Hugz

Ali Honey said...

Ha, we have a chilli glut too. I can't go near them....strange really cause red capsicums are one of my favourites...I'm just a wuss with the heat.
I sympathise with the not sleeping...some nights I am hopeless ....I'm a worrier.
Thank goodness for having multiple hobbies.
Stay safe, Hugs from Ali.

Maria said...

It is definitely a strange world we are living in right now but it's good to have our sewing and blogging friends to keep connected with..
Your chilli relish does look very hot and NO thanks for the recipe..
Hope you are sleeping better now...
stay well and safe.

Karen S said...

I think we are all feeling anxious in these strange times and it will take us a while to get used to the new normal. Take care.

Raewyn said...

I wondered who has work and who doesn't - Thank you for carrying on working for us all! Out of our family, only one of six has work at the moment - which is probably a fairly typical statistic of many families at the moment. I'm sure there will be many precautions you are taking at work - take care - enjoy your extra days at home :-)