Sunday 21 June 2020

FNSI and lifes ups and downs.

This past week has been a bit of a roller coaster.
My poor back has caused some of that ride. Thank you to everyone who sympathised and sent healing thoughts. It is all very much appreciated. As I said, it was mostly down to my footwear. I've had a weak back since I was a teenager and know the signs. I knew I needed new work shoes, and my Chiropractor had also pointed out the wear on them.  I didn't get a chance to go shopping before lock-down, when all the stores here in NZ were closed. Then after lock-down was over and things began to open up again, I thought, well I might manage to wait a little longer and hold on until Tony is able to find work again.
Serves me right! I should have known better.
Anyway, the new shoes did make a difference and things started to feel oh so much better.
One of the high points of the roller coaster.
I have been slowly working away on my Kaffetastic quilt top through the week, missing only one day. And here it is, after Friday Night Sew In.
I have completed three parts of the BOM now. Though I am going a little slower than a block a month. LOL
As you can see, Belle had to get in on the photo shoot. She had just emerged from behind the bottom.
Before you exclaim over all those points, they have been some of the low points of the week. many of them were sewn, ripped and sewn again. I resorted to the many, many pins method and still had issues with points and seams lining up. Grrr 
I've had that issue throughout the project, but this week seemed to be the worst yet.
That aside, reaching the milestone was very definitely a high point on my roller coaster. 
So after my high and the quick photo shoot on Friday evening I settled into my chair here in the sitting room planning to stitch some more of my I stitch project.
I was able to complete the second of the stitched pieces and made a start on the third.
But my lamp began to flicker. It's been doing it for a while, and turning it off and on again usually fixed the problem, but this time that didn't work and the flickering grew more and more bothersome. 
Tony took a look for me and announced that I need a new tube. This one is 16-17 years old and has worked very hard in that time. 
I'm told that very black looking patch is a bad sign. A new tube has been ordered but may take 6 - 8 weeks to arrive. Which will mean I fall way behind on my I stitch and Christmas ornament stitching, and no Cross stitch either. 😢
I can't do any of those crafts without my trusty magnifier and lamp.
Another low point on my roller coaster.
The bright blue marks? 
LOL That is ink. When I am cross stitching I use a gel pen to mark my pattern, to show where I have stitched. I hold the pen in my mouth, so I don't lose it. It often ends up drawing on the cover for the magnifying glass. LOL
Unable to stitch I turned my attention to my crochet and have made some good progress. I now have three little boxes of squares. Only one ball of leftovers left to use up. Then I'll need the yarn that has been 'In Transit' for eight weeks.
Guess what arrived on Saturday morning?
 I was just about to leave for work when I noticed a package sitting on the doorstep.
There were five different address labels, applied by two different European postal services and two different delivery labels, applied by two different delivery companies here in NZ!!
The poor package must have been so confused.
Never mind, it is here now and just in time to send me off to work on a high.
Only to plunge way, way down again...
My back!
Helping out downstairs I was leaning down into one of the big industrial washing machines to reach the last items in the bottom, when another area of my back gave incredible pain.
New shoes won't help this one.
Only time will fix this.
I can still potter about and do things, it's nowhere near as uncomfortable as the lower back pain I had earlier in the week. I've started to prep the next round of Kaffetastic and sorted out some bindings for some other recent finishes.
Cathy at the quilting shed has talked me into trying something new...
She does like to put out these challenges.
More about that at another time.
maybe it will be another high point.
I hope so, we need a few more in this house just now. 
I do hope your week had more highs than lows. 




14 comments:

ButterZ said...

Wow... what a week you have had. Hopefully you can find some project to help you pass away the time through all of you pain & woes....

Maria said...

Oh sew sorry to read you have hurt you back again. Do hope it gets better soon and Tony also finds a job..
Your Kaffe does look great and only you worry about the points..
What a nuisance you trusty light blew but it's been good to you.
Happy for you the wool arrived and you can at least crochet...

Sharon Kwilter said...

Your quilt is pretty. The colors are nice and bright.

Jenny said...

Oh dear, you have hurt your back again. That is not good at all. Bad backs and sore feet always make us feel older than we really are, I find. Rest up, if you can, so you back can start to heal.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Your Kaffe quilt is beautiful! Pretty yarn too. I hope you will feel better soon. Hugs from France.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sorry about your back and now to have it in a second place in your back. I hope you will see a doctor for it soon. Sorry your husband is having a hard time finding a job that makes it more stressful for you and now not to have your light and magnify too - I will be thinking of you and hope your luck with back goes better

Raewyn said...

I'm sorry to read that your back has been giving you so much trouble. I hope the new shoes, some rest, the chiropractor all combine to get you sorted again. Your Kaffetastic looks great - your efforts with the points will be worth it. It's nice to see you have got a variety of projects to work on depending on how your body is coping! Take care.

Fiona said...

A bit of a week for you.... I hope your back improves soon and also work for Tony... I expect that is hard at the moment... Your Kaffetastic quilt looks wonderful.... only you will notice the points I think... lovely yarn to play with...
Hugz

kiwikid said...

My goodness you have had a week! Good to see the wool arrived for you though. I hope your back is better soon and also that the new bulb turns up quickly so you can get back to your stitching. Your Kaffetastic is looking great.

Janice said...

What a week you have had. I’m glad there have been some high points in there. At least you can progress your crochet rug while you wait for your new lamp bulb and maybe scheme on your next projects. I can relate to your points problem. As much as they take time, sometimes lots of pins are the answer. Look after yourself.

Lin said...

What a shame about your back - just as it was starting to mend. Well, at least the yarn has turned up and will give you something to do while you wait for that new bulb. Kaffe is looking tastic! xx

Karen S said...

It sure has been an up and down week! Sorry to hear about your back and I do hope you see some improvement soon. Your quilt top is looking wonderful. And I am pleased you have other options while you wait for the lamp tube.

Bethan said...

I can see why you said it's been a bit of a rollercoaster...I'm glad the shoes helped and hope that the latest pain eases quickly. The Kaffetastic quilt is stunning! I love all the colours and it looks so incredible! x

dq said...

Kaffetastic project has really progressed and looks near completion. I am sorry there was much picking involved.

I love your embroidery project - beautiful!

I hope your back heals up soon with new shoes. I have to take care of my feet and can hardly walk if I don't, so I sort of understand.