Sunday 14 June 2020

Were you lonely this week?

I don't know about you, but when I ventured into my sewing room this weekend, I found it rather lonely. I blame Chooky and her Zoom party.
It was great to be able to sew along, while listening to others chatting away about their crafts and life in general but this week, there was just me and it was rather lonely. I do hope Chooky has another get together soon.
I didn't let that put me off though and got on with some sewing. Part three of Kaffetastic has begun the construction stage. All of the square in square blocks are made up. I know there are a few different ways of making this block, I'm using the method described in the pattern I'm following. Cut a bunch of HSTs and sew them on. Many years ago I came across this simple but effective method of ensuring that they go on straight. Fold your centre square in half and give it a quick press. You could probably get away with finger pressing, but I use my iron.

Use the crease to line up the point of the triangle.
 Attach both sides, then press your seams and fold and press the other way.
 Now you have a new crease to guide the other two triangles.
A quick trim to tidy up those pesky 'ears' and you're done.
Lots and lots of square in square blocks in this quilt.
As you can see I started to put them together.
I did think I might get to spend a little time in my armchair this afternoon. Maybe do the stitching for my I stitch block or work on Spring Queen.
Someone had other ideas.....
It was my grand daughters birthday earlier this week. Her package from me arrived in plenty of time and her mum had to hide it for a few days.
As you can see, she is delighted with her very grown up Unicorn quilt.
If you didn't see it before, or need a reminder, you can find it here.
My armchair has finally been vacated, I might settle in for a while. 
I'm feeling a little guilty, we are half way through the month and I didn't start the stitching on this months I stitch block or start my secret Christmas ornament. I feel the need to do some catching up.
Beef stew has been cooking away in the slow cooker since 9 am, maybe himself will volunteer to make some lovely mashed spuds so I don't have to move.......?
I can hope.




8 comments:

Maria said...

Yes it was great having the ladies chatting while we sewed but I listen to audiobooks when I'm in the Cave so it's not quiet....
Good idea for the square in a square by ironing a crease in centre block...keep it in mind, thanks
Ah puss is just keeping the seat warm till you come along...
Lovely photo of your beautiful GD with her special quilt....

jude's page said...

Glad your granddaughter is pleased with her quilt, and yes it is quiet in my sewing space this weekend, as Raylene has gone home, but am getting some jobs done.

Pink Rose said...

Hi Lou wow I am loving those blocks the colours look awesome and what a lovely pic of your grand daughter with her birthday quilt xx

Fiona said...

Lovely picutre of a happy grandigirl with her quilt... good tip for the blocks, I must remember that one...
Hugz

Raedene said...

Love me some polka dots! Striking colors in the quilt for your granddaughter, she is adorable and happy! Even though I am busy sewing, things are quiet here, too.

kiwikid said...

Wonderful blocks and thanks for the great hint. Good to hear your got to a use your chair 😁😁, your grand daughter looks so happy and cute with her quilt.

dq said...

I love square in a square blocks and polka dots! The method you showed looks like a great way to do them.

Janice said...

That’s a nifty trick for your blocks. I’m glad Faith’s quilt arrived in time. Of course she would love it. It is beautiful. I hope you got to spend some time in your chair without too many interruptions.