Friday 4 June 2021

Hey Look! A Squirrel.

But First, a finish.
In my last post I said that all of my Summer Berries blocks were complete and I was ready to spread them out on the floor. Well Monday was their day. My furry friend was fast asleep in another room, but somehow got wind of the goings on and arrived to help.
Or maybe just to inspect, as she did not disturb any of the pieces, merely sat very close to, or on top of them. LOL
It didn't take me long to arrange them and in no time I was happily sewing rows.
By the time I had to head off to work I had all of the rows made and the first four had been sewn together!
So on Tuesday it really did not take me very long at all to finish putting the final four rows on.
Tada!!
Summer Berries by Marg Lowe is a completed top.
I also worked on my Christmas Ornament on Tuesday, it's getting closer to a finish.
*
And now, the squirrel!
*
After work on Tuesday I was looking about on Pinterest, not for anything in particular, just something to help me wind down and relax after work.
A few Hexie projects popped up on my feed and a couple of tutorials, which I watched.
When I woke up on Wednesday morning one of the first things I did was message Debbie, to see what she was up to. Did she fancy a quick shopping trip in town?
Yes, she did as she had a new knitting pattern and wanted yarn. 
2 hours later we were on our way.
No big road trip, just a quick visit to a shop in town.
First I found backing fabric for two recently completed tops and Debbie found two pretty yarns to make baby clothing for a friend.
Then we went into the Timaru sewing centre where I followed the squirrel and purchased some pre cut papers for English Paper Piecing!
I remember trying many years ago, (I may even have blogged it). I was not happy with my results using hand cut and stitch basted papers. I chucked it all into a box and forgot about it. I have a vague recollection of finding it one day and throwing it out!
Not this time.
As soon as I got home I set about finding just the right fabrics.
I've had some batik charm squares lying around for a few years, they will do.
And off I went. I had also purchased a glue pen and set about glue basting my charms onto the hexie papers.
A totally different experience this time.
I loved it sew much I couldn't put them down.
I set off in such a hurry that I didn't have a pattern in mind, just sewed hexie flowers, four of them.
I've been back on Pinterest and come up with a couple of ideas, once I settle on something I'll let you know. 
Meanwhile, that squirrel is still bouncing around all over the place.
He may have taken me on an internet shopping trip, where a book and some more templates may have fallen into my cart.  They could take up to six weeks to arrive, I'll share when they do.
*
In other news..
My job is going to change slightly.
I'll be working more hours. And my alternate weekend will swap to the alternate weekend, if that makes sense. LOL
Oh and no more split shifts. YAY!
But first I get to work two alternate weekends in a row the first of which is two days of split shifts.
if I'm quiet next week, it's because I'm tired. 
*
Right it's time for a few chores, then I get to play with fabrics before work.

 

8 comments:

kiwikid said...

Well done on completing your quilt top. I love reading about a squirrel 😄 your hexies look great.

Janice said...

Your sewjo has definitely returned. Looking good. It sounds like you are really settling in at your new job.

Lin said...

Great finish on your top and I always love a hexie! Precut papers are definitely the way to go. xx

Chookyblue...... said...

Summer berries looks great...... You got the together quickly.....
You should know squirrels are dangerous...... Glad you have the same addiction as me......
Goodluck in the the role. Much better to have more hours but no split shifts......

Maria said...

Summer Berries looks great and well done on the finish....
Hahaha! You do have beware of Squirrels 🐿....
Nice hexies....

Ondrea said...

Wow! The quilt top looks fantastic. You must be quite pleased with it. Have fun with your EPP hexies.

Karen S said...

Your Summer Berries top looks wonderful.
And it looks like your shopping trip was worthwhile.
Good luck with your job changes.

gz said...

Summer Berries is stunning... impressive!