Wednesday 22 December 2021

Op Shop Blocks.

But first a finish.
Over the last couple of days I have found time to cut and add borders to my Edyta's Garden quilt top.
No backing or binding has been sorted yet, something else was calling out to me and I wanted to get to it.
*
Recently I've been very lucky to have some pretty good fabric finds at my local op shop.
As many of you know, I'm on the hunt for an orange coffee mug, with white spots, but also check out the craft section, while I'm there. Over the last couple of months I've found some good fabric bundles.
Many of which have included one or more of these blocks.
I ended up with eight blocks and a partial block that looked like it had been hastily hacked!. The fabric is not especially good, maybe from the blue shop with the red spot, or a similar outlet, but that's ok, I can work with them.
And today was their day. I set about giving some of them a little tidy up.
And to make up for the partial block? I had three of the darker fabrics, three of the pale fabrics and and off cut of the pale fabric just big enough to cut a forth piece. My stash yielded a neutral that worked well, so two squares of that were added.
Another recent find, the cute spotty fabric I mentioned in my last blog post, makes great sashing fabric for these blocks. So when Tony got home for lunch, this was where we were at.
After lunch, the hunt was on for some corner stones. I found just the right shade of blue in my stash and used a little up.
And in no time at all I had my second quilt top of the day finished and pegged up for a photo shoot.
I'm rather pleased with this very quick finish. It will make a great donation quilt after I've layered and finished it. I think I had better wash it too. It smells rather funky!
*
So I need to make some frankenbats from some of the many off cuts I have stashed away in my big tub.
But it's just too hot for playing with batting today, so I'll save that task for another day.
*
I still didn't start my December ornament, the one for my tree.
Maybe I'll do that this afternoon. 
*
Merry Christmas everyone.
I hope you all have a fantastic day. 

8 comments:

AnnieO said...

I like your creativity with the op shop finds. Nice colors and setting! I don’t have room for any more fabric at the moment—backings are needed for a number of quilt tops and that shall be my focus in the new year. Merry Christmas!

Jeanette said...

Love your Edyta's Garden, it's gorgeous. Your op shop blocks have made a lovely quilt. Hugs, xx

Janice said...

Your hexy quilt looks so good. That is great use of the op shop blocks. How good to have a little donation quilt for very little cost and effort. Chop, chop……you’d better get moving with your ornie.

Lin said...

Edyta's Garden looks lovely - especially with the light shining through like that. Great use of your finds and those spots of blue bring it all together nicely. Happy Christmas to you too! xx

Jenny said...

I'm not much of an OP Shopper so that's why I never get great bargains like you! Merry Christmas to you both.

Fiona said...

Edyta's star is fantastic, and you did well fixing up the blocks for another one...
Hugz

kiwikid said...

Love Edyta's Star, it looks so good hanging up in the window. You have done really well with your op shop finds, good save on the other blocks. Can I ask, what are frankenbats please?

jude's page said...

Your star quilt looks great, almost like stain glass hanging in the light like that.