Saturday 14 October 2023

Presidents Challenge.

For this years Presidents challenge at the local P&Q club we had to draw a letter from the hat and then make a quilt featuring three elements beginning with that letter. 
I selected the letter L
Very appropriate wouldn't you say?
I dithered and dallied about what I wanted to do, then was very lucky in August while op shopping with Debbie when I scored this bundle of fabrics.
Lots of lovely left over fabrics in lavenders and lilacs!
There are even ladies. 
Those squares were precut at 4.75 inches.
They have been spread out on my sewing room floor ever since, while I thought about how to use them. I have shuffled them here and shuffled them there but nothing really leaped out at me. Then on Thursday I had a talk to myself and said I had to stop over thinking and just get on and make something. Then because I agreed with myself  I made a start. Right away I shuffled the squares into nine patches and started sewing.
I had to cut a couple of extra plain pieces and had just enough of that dusty lilac to make the sashing pieces.
I really do mean just enough, half of them have joins!
Next a quick border cut from another plain and Tadaaa!
It's a finished top.
In hind sight I should have had one more shuffle to break up the darker pieces.
Too late now I told myself, move on. So I did.
Today Tony and I went to The Pin Tin in Geraldine. They are having a month long sale. I had a look on the sale tables, there were four of them! Lots of lovely purples, but sadly none that were just right. However in the extra wide bay I did find one. Not in the sale but ..... sigh.... it's perfect.
And look, it has writing, or letters. Another L
And also matching thread.
Then hugging a huge bolt of extra wide I perused the rest of the store spending more time looking at the sale items and finding some bargains.
Remember the dinosaur bundle I got at the Altrusa sale? That yellowish piece on the right below is from the same collection, I got just over a meter as an end of bolt. There were some of the other fabrics too, I may make a return visit. 
The busy bees were also an end of bolt, just under a meter. and the precut kiwi fabrics were a must, I've been after one of those for a while. I have a plan for that one. 
With the credit card well and truly bashed it was time to head back to Timaru and visit the big store with garden stuff before coming home.
We ate a quick lunch then it was time for some garden work.
More about that on another day.
When we came indoors I found a summons from Chooky and joined her and some other ladies for a zoom session. Out came the EPP. Perfect, exactly what I needed after a busy day.
Thank you Chooky. 
*
In other news, St Nick has made a lot of progress since I got my new Cross stitch stand. It holds my roller frame beautifully. No new scratches on the new suite and no aching back at the end of the stitching sessions.
I have completed all of the cross stitching and about half of the back stitch and special stitches that add all of the important little details. 
I don't think I have ever added so many French knots to a project and I have certainly never made so many in one day!
If there are not too many distractions I should have him completed this week.
*
Well that is my news.
Chooky is planning another zoom session tomorrow, that will be nice.
Of course I had planned to load the L quilt on to the frame, but maybe it could wait for Monday.
St Nick is calling and so are the Dinosaurs and there is a panel in my room that my muse has an idea for that I really need to investigate and possibly make a few notes about before I forget what she has in mind.......
I've been a bit 'off' for a while, but I think I'm back.
Maybe.
LOL
Oh and I have a ton of blog reading to catch up on. 

9 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Well yes, I would definitely say you are back! Those purples/lavenders went together so beautifully. And how nice to have found a cross stitch stand that doesn't affect the back. I will enjoy seeing your stitching. I'm slow stitching plugging along but loving it really. Happy Weekend.

Jennifer said...

You have been a busy woman! I missed zoom yesterday, we were in and out for much of the day.

Fiona said...

Well done with the L challenge..... made a good size quilt top with it....
Hugz

Lin said...

Great use of those lilac offcuts and the backing fabric does look rather delicious. Good to see St Nick progressing so quickly now, I am looking forward to seeing him finished. No zoom on my new computer yet - I need to get that sorted out! xx

Jenny said...

So much to do, so little time. Seems you got some great bargains from the sales table.

kiwikid said...

Well done with the challenge Jo, it is a beautiful quilt and the backing fabric is perfect. Love the bargains you found, the buzzy bees and the kiwi fabric. The cross stitch is stunning Jo.

Karen S said...

Lovely work with the challenge.
Good to find a great backing, too.

Janice said...

You made great use of the op shop purple fabrics in your “L” quilt. I’m sure it is quilted by now. How cool to get some busy bee fabric. That’s definitely Kiwiana. It was good to see you on Zoom. I look forward to your garden post.

Chookyblue...... said...

You did well with the challenge....... It's been good so catch up on zoom.......