Sunday 22 October 2023

Two finishes.

 Last time I wrote, I mentioned that I had an advent calendar folded, pinned and ready to sew. 
I finally got to it yesterday, just before Chooky called a zoom meeting for the Chookshed Stitchers. So I was sitting closing the binding when the email inviting us all to join arrived in my inbox. As you can see it is a simple Scandi style calendar.
I didn't get real fancy with the quilting, this one is a donation piece. I layered it with an off cut of batting and a piece of mystery red fabric. It came in one of those bundles I purchased. It's not felt, but not fleece and it's not... I really don't know what it is except perfect for the back of this advent. LOL
I had an off cut of red that was just right for the binding.
Here you can see the wavy line quilting I used between the pockets and over the arch shape of the picture. Then around the outside of the whole thing. Like I said, I kept it simple.
The back has a pair of D rings in the top corners to hang it.
Tada!
Job finally done.
*
Another job that is finally done is my Cross stitch project.
St Nick was completed today, just before Torstein and Charmaine brought Mummy and Daddy to Nanny's house for tea.
I had a look back at my records and I started him in October of 2020. (It was a blast looking back at pictures of the grand children back then too. Torstein was a tiny baby.
The next time St Nick gets a mention was in December last year.
He made quite a bit of progress then stalled again. I've picked away at him through this year, doing a little here and there.
Finally he is finished. It took a while to add all the little details created using back stitch, French knots and couched threads. (Hopefully you can click on the image and see things a little closer). 
It was worth all of the effort. I am delighted with how he looks.
I'm not sure if I will frame him or make a soft wall hanging with him.
I sort of plan that one day he will go to live with either Jonny or Kay back in Britain, so glass is probably not a good idea. I could frame him without the glass of course.
For now he can rest somewhere, while I think about how to finish him for display. 
For those who like to know he is a Dimensions chart, designed by Peggy Abrams. One of a pair,
I have his brother to stitch, but I think I'll get on with a smaller project before starting another incredibly detailed St Nick.
*
As I mentioned, the grand children were here for their regular visit. Charmaine helped me to make dessert while Torstein and Grandad played with fire engines.
They both ate a big tea and then played some more.
Time I think to put my feet up and recover with a cup of tea.
*
Back to work tomorrow.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

St Nick is gorgeous! Does your advent calendar come with little gifts?

Janice said...

St Nick is absolutely beeeuuutiful. It was definitely worth the effort to add all those final details. They really bring him to life.

Churn Dash said...

I finished the other Santa Clause a few months ago. I think I had started it close to when it was published at the start of the decade. It had been put away for so long because I got into quilting in a big way. I saw your Santa Clause earlier in the year which inspired my to pull it out and finish it. Thank you!
There were so many beads and French knots on it I almost gave up. The gold French knots were the worst!
I love how yours turned out and I think I have talked myself out of looking for it!

Helen

cityquilter grace said...

the santa is simply gorgeous...it'll be a cherished heirloom for someone no doubt....very pretty indeed and i can appreciate all the work in it...well worth it

Jeanette said...

St Nick is gorgeous. Cute advent calendar.

Fiona said...

Great advent calender... never thought of D rings to attach for hanging.... St Nick is lovely.... such a lot of stitches to make it.... great...
Hugz

Lin said...

Congratulations on getting St Nick finished - he is amazing. Oh my, how on earth could you contemplate another one! xx

kiwikid said...

Great finishes, St Nick looks amazing and the Advent hanging looks great too. Hope you enjoyed that well earned cuppa.

jude's page said...

Well done Lou, I did know you had finished because Jo showed me when she was at our place for the quilt show.