Wednesday 4 October 2023

Cross stitch update.

It's been a while since I posted about my cross stitch. This cute dinosaur was started back in July and should have been completed in just a few days but, well you know how it is.
I finally finished him at the weekend and will leave him in this hoop, adding a felt backing.
Tada!
Job done.
Of course a finish means a new start. So I pulled this kit out of the box.
Just look at that eye, I'm sure he is plotting mischief.
And I made a start before work on Sunday. And that is as far as that one got.
Monday morning bright and early the postie made a delivery.
I've had a lowery stand for almost twenty years and have loved using it but recently I've been struggling and since we got a new leather suite a couple of years ago, really struggling! I've scratched the arm of my chair with my roller frame more than once. Luckily I was able to polish the scratches out but decided it was time to look for a new system for my larger cross stitch projects. Someone suggested I look at Gus's custom creations, his deluxe is very versatile I was told.
So I looked.
(He is only on facebook, I can't find any other website with Gus's Custom Creations, except his tutorials and some reviews on youtube). 
They look amazing, I want one. So I enquired.
Gulp!
That's expensive!
But with Tony's encouragement and plenty of extra shifts at work I had the money saved up long before my name reached the top of the waiting list. 
On Monday it was delivered.
I had to grab the camera when the box inspector arrived.
Yes, she squeezed her nosey nose right inside!
With the help of the video on youtube I had the new stand built in no time and sat nearly all day sewing! LOL
It's quite difficult to get a good photo of the stand but I did my best.
Poor old St Nick is still a work in progress
So he was pulled out of his hidey hole for a show and tell.
Below you can see where I left him goodness knows when earlier this year.
And after a day and a half of attention.
He finally has two legs and the rest of his walking stick. 
I'd like to think that now I have a floor stand that works with our furniture I can complete his stitching by Christmas, even if he isn't a fully finished object. 
Do I like my new stitching stand?
Oh yes, I love it.
It is incredibly versatile, made from beautiful solid timber.
His wife is a cross stitcher, so you just know he has paid attention to all of her huffs and sighs and listened to each and every one of her niggles, complaints and suggestions as he has developed this beautiful stand. 
Is it worth the $500NZ that I paid, only time will tell but I'm sure I'll get my moneys worth now that I am not afraid of damaging the furniture. 

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

It's a beautiful stand, Lou....and yes, it is worth every penny!

Lin said...

Your new stand does look beautiful, real wood is always a pleasure and it looks very adaptable too. Enjoy! xx

Janice said...

That eye does look like mischief. Good on you for making the investment. It will make your cross stitch easier and is a nice piece to have in your lounge room. It would be lovely to see St Nick completed by Christmas.

ButterZ said...

Fantastic stand. It is worth it if you are going to use it. Makes me want to do a cross stitch too.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I very much enjoyed reading your EPP post. Very interesting as is this one with the cross stitch update. I think that new stand is beautiful and you so deserve it! It will last you for decades of stitching projects so an investment really. Love your present pieces too. I wish I had a better box inspector...mine just wants to rip them to shreds.

Fiona said...

You have got some great projects there .... and the stand does look good, can't go past proper hand made.... it will last forever...

Hugz

cityquilter grace said...

very nice stand indeed....and a bargain if it's that good...i've had an ulmer quilt frame on my want list for a long time....maybe santa will supply!

Rose Marie said...

Interesting new stand and if it helps with your furniture .... then every penny worth it. That cat looks interesting and love that eye!

Ondrea said...

Lovely crafted stand. Well worth the investment. Your dinosaur is lovely and I absolutely looove the cat pattern!

jude's page said...

I'm not into cross stitch so don't really understand your dilemma, but if it makes your work easier and less damage to the furniture, it's definitely worth the money.