Friday 12 January 2024

It's been a busy week.

It was to be my short week at work. I was rostered to work only Wednesday and Thursday. I left a message for my boss last week, asking if I could have a break please as I was tired after all the extra shifts. The lovely lady granted my wish. Yippee!
I planned to tidy up my sewing room, then sew, sew and sew some more. But as I mentioned in my last post, my father in law turned up with all of those onions. There was just over 10 kilograms of pickling onions. I worked on them in batches. Each day this week I've spent an hour topping, tailing and peeling onions then leaving them in salt overnight. The next day I would bottle them up and start topping and tailing the next batch. My fingers were tingling each day from the onion juice. On top of all of that I've made two batches of cucumber relish.
And more marmalade. What you see here is about half of my weeks preserving work. After spending most of each morning in the kitchen and completing my other chores I was ready to sit and relax once I had eaten some lunch each day. Sewing took a back seat but I did squeeze in some sewing time.
I completed the cross stitch on my Christmas gnome.
I plan to add his back stitch today.
I've also added a few more rounds to my crochet blanket. 
I may not have done all of the sewing I planned to do this week but I got in more than my 15 minutes each day. 
The onions, cucumbers and mandarins are all used up now, hopefully I can sew all weekend. I have the back ground fabric for my RSC kiwis all sorted out and want them completed before I go off to work on Monday afternoon. 

15 comments:

kiwikid said...

Great work to get all the preserving done Lou! Your gnome is very cute and blanket looks wonderful.

dq said...

Isn't that how things turn out sometimes. You should have been home free to sew, but unexpected work turned up. At least you can enjoy the weekend and the preserves over the next few months.
Your bottles actually look beautiful all finished. I like to mine out to admire my work for a day or so before storing them away.

Lin said...

WOW!!!!!

Jennifer said...

You have certainly been busy, Lou!

Jenny said...

You have been busy, just look at all those jars of goodness. It must be so satisfying looking at all those jars in the pantry.

Mystic Quilter said...

WOW - such a lot of delicious hoe made produce to stock away in the cupboards. Not surprised to read that you were ready for a sit and relax!!

Lianne makes stuff said...

I've never pickled onions Dave doesn't pick them when they are small.

Jo said...

That’s a lot of bottling. Hope your work free days have helped you feel rested

cityquilter grace said...

there'll be some good eating around your place in the future! cute little gnome!

Janice said...

Yep, that was a very busy week. You’ll head back to work for a rest. LOL.

Narelle said...

Your produce looks impressive. Your little gnome will come alive with the back stitching.

Susan said...

That is a lot of kitchen Duty!!! At least you got crafty time.

Maria said...

Good to have completed your preserving done .
Cute Gnome and pretty blanket.

Arish said...

¡¡cuanto trabajo en la cocina!! y esa manta de crochet se ve preciosa. BESICOS.

Chookyblue...... said...

that's lots of preserving......