Monday 8 January 2024

Plans change....

Well today was going to be all about making my RSC kiwis blocks. Then life and my father in law got in the way. LOL
First I had to have a bit of a tidy up in my wee room and that turned into a major tidy up and sort out session. Not what I had planned but it needed to happen.  Just as I was winding up and getting that finished and started to allow myself to start thinking about fabrics for back grounds and where they might be stashed....... Father in law turned up with not one, but two big buckets of onions for pickling please.... 
Hmm, sideways picture, sorry.
I have no idea how many onions were in the buckets, we tipped them in to this basket and I started sorting. All the red onions were taken to the kitchen and dropped in to a sink filled with very hot water for washing and peeling.
There are 3 kilograms of red pickling onions, they are now all cleaned up and sat in salt. They will stay that way overnight and tomorrow I will bottle them before cleaning up the white onions and leaving them in salt overnight. LOL
I hope I have enough jars.
I'm sure I have mentioned previously that I have made batches of cucumber relish and looking at my plant I'll be making another batch very soon. Though father in law did take one away with him earlier as his plant is not doing so good.
It's not all savoury preserves, someone gave me a bag of mandarins, we've eaten a few but I thought I would try my hand at marmalade.
Yum. 
I might make more of that. 
It's not all been kitchen and yard work. Tony and I had a couple of days out. Hmm, no pics sorry.
And though I didn't get huge amounts done I have been getting in at least 15 mins a day on either my EPP, my cross stitch or my crochet.
I had my EPP blocks all pinned up on the wall quilt so I could get an idea of how I want to join everything together.
This looks like a good layout and I even have spare flower blocks.
Sadly I missed out on the Sunday zoom session, though I did briefly attend the previous one.
That's been my week. Full on busy and it looks like life will continue in the same way for a few days until I get through with onions, cucumbers and mandarins.

14 comments:

Mystic Quilter said...

Home made jams and preserves are always so enjoyable, much nicer than bought at the supermarkets - but very time consuming!!

Jennifer said...

Yum, marmalade......and pickled onions......spare flower blocks could be useful.

kiwikid said...

My goodness that is a lot of onions!! I like the idea of your marmalade and your hexies look wonderful. Busy days for you.

Jo said...

Good work getting your pantry filled. I would love to do all that but not while I’m working. Maybe in the future I will learn to.

Lin said...

Home pickled onions are The Best! Busy preserving time for you but great to have in the pantry. xx

dq said...

You have been very productive and busy sewing and preserving. Those hexies are really growing!

So good of your father-in-law to bring you some extra work. You will be glad you did it though.

Jeanette said...

You have been busy. Yumm to the marmalade & i love home made pickled onions.

cityquilter grace said...

plate of tasks is overflowing....lovely epp blocks and love the setting so far...hmm marmalade...sounds good!

Karen S said...

I don't mind those interruptions. Great to see all the preserving.

Maria said...

Those onions will keep you busy.
Your marmalade looks delicious.

Janice said...

A busy week. You obviously make very yummy pickled onions, as you get repeat orders each year. Despite interruptions you still did well to manage 15 minutes each day.

Narelle said...

It's always satisfying to open a jar of your own pickles, jams etc. I have a batch of Tomato Relish to make.
Your EPP is looking lovely.

Rose Marie said...

Those are a lot of onions. My sister and I will be making cucumber relish in September. Sometimes we have help from my little nieces so that they learn and experience along with us.

Chookyblue...... said...

that's a lot of onions...........
the red looks great and since this pic you have made heaps of progress on your EPP......