Sunday 14 January 2024

Normal service resumed.....

After a very busy week in the kitchen I was delighted to get back in to my room on Saturday. It was lovely to potter in there. Belle was not so happy, she just couldn't decide where to sit, trying out some very unusual seats and generally getting in the way while I tried to play.
I still managed complete my RSC challenge for the month and now have two happy little kiwi blocks.
I just need to add some embroidered eyes and legs. 
These are foundation paper pieced and were designed by the lovely and very generous Louise. She showed them off one day while zooming with Chooky, of course we all fell in love with the design. I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one making Kiwis this year. Louise has put the pattern on her blog if you missed out on the zoom share. 
So with that commitment completed and lots of day left I went in search of another project. 
I've been collecting supermarket receipts for a while now, with a plan in mind for them. Yesterday was their day and I began to cover them with batik scraps.
Belle had gone round a few more times and eventually settled on the corner of my cutting table using my blocks as a cushion and a bag as a pillow.
I love the paw over the nose. LOL
(No, I don't know why there was a bag of half inch hexie papers in the batik box, but after finding them a plan began to formulate, I'll keep you posted if it comes to fruition).
So, back to the reason for pulling out the batik scraps.
I got nine strips made yesterday and have covered a few more this morning before the grand children arrived. I'm not entirely sure what I will do with them. 
Maybe some placemats?  
Maybe a lap quilt?  
Maybe the completed blocks will sit in a box for a while? 
What ever, right now I am enjoying the process and using the papers as a great foundation. Keep an eye open for more of these.
*
Back to work tomorrow but I will still have plenty of sewing time.

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

Cat's rule number one: a cat will always find a comfortable spot. That's a fun idea with your receipts!

Karen S said...

Your kiwi blocks are lovely. Great idea for the colour challenge.

Lin said...

Your kiwi's are looking good and great idea with your receipts. xx

Louise said...

Love your little kiwi birds…they are very addictive to make. Cheers, Louise

Susan said...

I'm glad Belle finally settled....I think the strips are good scrap users...though removing the paper may not be too much fun.

Louise said...

I posted the paper pieced kiwi pattern on my kwiltkeyes.blospot.com blog. Cheers, Louise

Jeanette said...

Love your kiwi's. Belle looks very cute there.

kiwikid said...

Ah Belle took a while to find the right place! Love your Kiwi's and great idea with the receipts and scraps.

Lianne makes stuff said...

I love your batik strips and the Kiwi birds look great, my cat prefers to be wherever he can get in the way too

dq said...

Wow Lou! You have been a power sewer and food preserver this week along with working. You go girl!
I look so forward to making those kiwis when that number arrives.

Janice said...

The kiwis turned out so cute. A whole quilt them will be fabulous. Poor Belle. It does sound like she was feeling somewhat restless. I’ve seen where Karen Brown makes receipt roll crumb quilt strips but had never thought to use supermarket dockets. Too simple. It will never work. There are some great ideas out there to use them.

Chookyblue...... said...

the kiwi's are cute.......they are one one of my months........can't remember which one.....