Thursday 18 January 2024

Life beyond the kitchen....

It's that time of year when a girl has to spend a lot of time in the kitchen dealing with the bounty from the garden.  I bought some oranges and made yet another batch of marmalade. I took some to work for the residents and there was a flurry of messages this morning telling me how much the residents enjoyed it. Hmm, there may be requests for more. LOL
One thing there was definitely a request for more of is rhubarb cake. When I pointed out all the rhubarb in the garden Tony requested that I make one. 
So of course I obliged.
I don't just spend time in the kitchen though, 
As you know I've been playing with my batik scraps and my grocery receipts. I started off by producing some multi coloured strips, you can see those in this post. 
I mentioned that they might become placemats. Then a lightbulb came on and I separated out the left overs from the seaswept quilt and focused on them.
I pulled a few larger pieces out of the stash for sashing strips and borders, today I started to put things together.
I love them, such beautiful colours.
I have just enough of the blue and green triangles left to make two more the same. Fingers crossed the fabric I have selected to use as binding is large enough.
I have also been busy with my hand sewing and have completed the first of my Christmas ornaments. 
Then made a start on the secret ornament.
I might show another progress shot of this one, or maybe I won't.
I've also been getting in some time on my crochet.
My 15 minutes that I promised to spend on my EPP has been spent on cross stitch or crochet.
But at least I have been creative.
Is it OK to change my commitment for the month? LOL
*
As I go out of the laundry door and walk to the washing line or the veg gardens I pass by a long thin garden that we have planted with some low shrubs. I have put lily bulbs in too and have been excitedly waiting for them to flower. This one popped up and made sixteen buds.
So beautiful with a lovely scent.
My mother in law was thinning out in her garden and gave me some of her thinning.
Not such a strong stem and only one bud per stem, but another beautiful perfumed flower. There are about six of these. I'm sure as they settle in to my garden they will become stronger and produce more flowers. Mothers look stunning. 
*
I have to work this weekend, but hopefully between chores and shifts I will have time to play with needle and thread.  I hope you have time to play too. 

11 comments:

kiwikid said...

You have been very productive in the kitchen Lou. The marmalade looks wonderful. Love your multi coloured strips, great use of left over bits. Beautiful stitching and the flowers are beautiful.

Jeanette said...

Love your placemats, they are indeed beautiful colours. Cute gnome ornament & stunning lily/s.

dq said...

Your little gnome is so cute! You have certainly been busy sewing, stitching, and cooking. Your lily is lovely as well. I can picture your little, long, thin garden outside the laundry door.
Good job making brownie points with the residents at work. I'm sure they love you anyway, but home made marmalade does the trick too. I have never heard of rhubarb cake, only pie. It looks very moist.
Those place holders are so pretty - love batiks and love blues!

Lin said...

Your placemats look lovely, the colours are gorgeous! Love the lilys. xx

Jenny said...

Rhubarb cake sounds nice, we have some growing too. I've had a quick look on Google and there seems be plenty of recipes availabe.

cityquilter grace said...

terrific progress...oh those batiks...so pretty! and the lily...so good to see pretty flowers with all our snow here...mmm marmalade...love it!

Ondrea said...

I have never heard of rhubarb cake but it woukd be very yummy. I loooove bitter marmalade. Love your placemats. Busy, busy, busy!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

An absolute treat to see flowers blooming as we are under a blanket of snow. And that you are picking fresh rhubarb and making a lovely cake and also making fresh marmalade...I'm envious. Those colourful place mats are beautiful. Also what a pretty and finished cross stitched ornament. You make lovely things, Lou.

Chookyblue...... said...

busy busy and all looks great........

Jenny said...

Busy lady... I would love some rhubarb cake thanks, never tried one before. The lilies are beautiful Lou. I love it when things just sprout up in the garden and then become things of beauty and colour.

jude's page said...

Just been catching up on your january blog posts, you have been busy in the kitchen and the sewing room. Love your use for the batik scraps.