Saturday 17 August 2024

A This n that post....

 One of my goals for this month was to get some finishing done.
I had five small cross stitched pieces that needed to become five finished Christmas ornaments.
I'm happy to say that they are all done. 
A couple of weekends ago we joined Tonys brother and family at their bach. (Holiday cottage).  There were friends visiting too. The aim of the visit was so that my son Joe and his children could have a ride in Uncle Stephens Maverick!
They had a blast and Torstein and Charmaine both got a turn at driving.
They were all smiles honest, but as soon as he saw the camera Torstein became very shy. LOL
They especially loved it when Uncle Stephen took them driving in the river bed and through the mud. 
It was an exciting day and a very quiet ride home in grandads car.
Some new recipes have been tried.
Tony, his brother Stephen and their dad went fishing recently and brought home a good catch. We both love crumbed fish, but our usual crumb variety has a lot of carbs, so we looked for an alternative.
Not the prettiest food picture, the filet fell apart as I lifted it on to my plate.
Instead of an egg wash and bread crumbs or panko the recipe we found said to dip the fish into melted butter then it was coated with a mixture of almond meal and parmesan cheese and baked in the oven. It was delicious and we will be using the recipe again and again I'm sure. As you can see I served it with some sliced kumara which also had the crumb treatment. 
No, the crumb mix does not taste of almonds.
Another new to me recipe was these cheese and broccoli hash browns.
The recipe I found said to use frozen broccoli rice. Well I didn't have any of that, but I did have a part broccoli head going soft in the fridge so I popped that into the blitzer and made fresh broccoli rice, then mixed in the other ingredients, including lots of cheese. They were good warm with our roast chicken and even better cold the next day.
Another of my goals ticked off the list for the month.
I completed the orange Kiwi for the RSC in the first week of the month.
Look, I had fun with the beaks again!
They are nestled in the box with their pals.
I'm still making blocks for my Windswept quilt top.
I'm not yet at the half way point with these blocks. I need a lot of them. 
I'm happy to say that I have been making great progress on my goals for the month with everything ticked off already except the 15 minutes a day goal, that has not happened this month as I have missed a few days.
*
And finally, my orchid flowered.
I was gifted an orchid plant by a colleague about three years ago. It has sat in it's pot and done very little to be honest. First it sat in the kitchen window, then it moved to a bathroom window and well it just sat.
After we took Belle to the vet for her last visit I decided that the WC windowsill looked very bare.
I could never put anything on it as it was Belles seat, she loved to sit up there and look out at the world.
A few weeks ago I noticed that finally my orchid was doing something!
Little spikes had appeared which turned in to buds and finally these tiny flowers.
Not the best pictures, sorry.
They are so tiny.
And so very pretty.
Good things really are worth waiting for.
That's all of my news. I'm off to sew.

12 comments:

Jeanette said...

The recipes you made do sound yummy. Lovely orange kiwis & the windswept blocks look good. The orchid is pretty, that sill must have been the best spot for it. Good to see you on Zoom.

dq said...

The fish bake really sounds delicious! I think that if it falls apart, it is super tender.
The Maverick ride looks like something we would do. Glad the kiddos loved it.
The orange kiwi's are super cute. I especially love the polka dots. Windswept colors are gorgeous!

Lin said...

Lots happening there. The fish does sound delicious! Lovely to have the orchid flowering. xx

Janice said...

A nice bits and pieces post. You’ll be happy to have completed the ornies and your other stitching is coming along nicely. The kids had a good day and your crumbed fish sounds yummy.

kiwikid said...

Great sounding recipes Lou, the little orchid is beautiful. Great day out for the children, not surprised one is sleeping on the way home! You are getting a great block collection there. Good to see you on zoom from me too.

Jennifer said...

That's a very sweet little orchid! Love those Windswept blocks....and the kiwis are fun.

Maria said...

A fun day out for the Grandkids… cute orange Kiwis and nice to have the small UFOs done.

cityquilter grace said...

eureka...you found the perfect place for the orchid...it is lovely!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, love the perky little orange kiwi…plus I think I will try the fish recipe…been getting ready for the AQSG seminar in September, I will be hosting a study center on newspaper series quilts…cheers, Louise

Ondrea said...

You always make good progress with your projects. Well done finishing those crosstitch ornis. The Kiwis are rather cute. Great day with the grandies. Such a cherished time.

Fiona said...

great progress on your projects, and some lovely food. Nothing like fresh fish and looks like the grandies had a fun day out
Hugz

ButterZ said...

The fish sounds delicious. The orchid should be called Belle. So pretty. Those kiwis will be so different but still one family. Love them. Great work on the Xmas x stitch