Tuesday 30 April 2024

April Round Up.

 I wasn't sure how April was going to go, what with swapping to the longer early shifts at work. No more having pretty much all day at home alone to do my own thing, now I get home just about 4pm, tired and done in, really not much left in the tank for sewing.
But I have surprised myself and have managed to achieve all the goals I had set for myself.
Lets have a look.
*
I was lucky that my Chookshed goal was the same as one of my monthly goals. I was to complete at least one, but preferably two secret Christmas ornaments.
Achieved.
*
I also completed my two RSC Kiwi birds.
Two yellow Kiwi.
*
Work 15 minutes on my sewing machine before work.
I prepared myself a bunch of mini kits which was a great help. Each morning before work I have sewn at least one scrappy triangle, some days two!
I'm really enjoying this project. It was going to be a lap quilt, but I think I'll keep going and make it much bigger. LOL
*
In the evenings I'm also to work on something in hand for a minimum of 15 minutes.
I finally finished the tidy up job I was doing on my daughter in laws crochet blanket.
It has been around for a long time and most of the yarn ends had popped out of their tidy homes. I put away as many as I could and with Lee's agreement I added a purple border.
She was very happy to take it home again on Sunday.
Then during a zoom session, out came this one.
It will progress slowly over the winter. A great way to keep warm during the colder months of the year.
I've also returned to some cross stitch projects. I completed the black cat cross stitch and framed it for Tony.
It was the last project that Belle got to inspect before her final trip to the vets last week. 
Once that was done I pulled out this one.
Not a huge amount of progress, but that's ok, I have until November to complete it.
I've also been playing with EPP in the evenings.
I have glue basted a tin full of three quarter inch hexagons and batik scraps.
I'm really not sure what I'll do with these yet, but I'm sure her Majesty will look after them for me.
I am kind of leaning towards some place mats.
A bit of mindless glue basting is just the thing on some evenings, or even some afternoons, so I have started to baste the back ground fabric for another EPP project.
Floral lanterns, except mine will be blue!
Speaking of EPP I've also found time to work a little here and there on spots n' stripes
It hasn't grown since last time you saw it, but I have sewn more diamonds in to hexagons, ready to join some more rows.
15 mins a day.... Achieved.
*
Next on my goals list was to cut a scrap project to take along on club days.
Now that my shifts have changed I am not able to attend club days every month, so I might just tweak this one to say I must work on a scrapper.
Well, scrappy triangles has progressed, so that would count. My scrappy crumby project is now a finished top, so that could count for this goal too.
I have another scrappy project that did not see any action this month.
*
And finally on my list...
Try a new recipe.
I tried two.
Fly Cemetery which is a very old Scottish slice or cake. Basically anything resembling pastry or shortcake with a load of dried fruit smooshed between the layers.
This version had diced green apple in there too.
Not a version I'll be making again, but it's all gone, so it can't have been that bad.
And my second recipe is an impossible onion quiche.
Not sure why they called it impossible. Self crusting might have been better.
Again, not a recipe I'll be repeating, it did taste good, but the crust wasn't up to much. I think I'll stick to pastry. 
*
Also in April I got my daughter in law sewing some hexies.
I bought a bicycle and have even been out for a couple of rides.
And Tony and I committed to returning to Baradine for Scrub Stitchin' next year.
*
I think that's about it.
For a gal who wasn't sure how much time she would have to play, I think I did OK
I hope your month was as good as mine.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lou, you are one busy and productive gal! Cheers, Louise

Susan said...

You did very well.

Ma Betty said...

Well Lou, you certainly did OK. Such an amazing amount of progress.
Of course the best bit is the last bit - to Baradine for Scrub Stitchin' next year.
Maybe you could stay at mine on your way through Sydney on the way there or back, and I'll be going to Baradine too.

cityquilter grace said...

wow you did get an awful lot accomplished...love your queenly tin...i have one with king charles on the front...such cute kiwis, all those pretty hexies....and nice cross stitch brewing too...

Jenny said...

Nice little kiwis, will you be stitching their legs on? You have achieved a lot this month, especially with your change of work hours.

Narelle said...

I'd say 'wow!' You've been able to squeeze lots of loveliness in for April ... the hexies look so pretty all lined up in their tin.
I like your idea to try new recipes each month x

Mystic Quilter said...

So sorry to read about Belle, these little creatures are part of the family and the loss is awful.

kiwikid said...

You had a busy productive month Lou! So many beautiful projects. Great news you will be returning to Baradine next year!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

What a great post! So many lovely projects and I was happy to see all the slow stitchy ones in particular. Making glue basted pieces of an evening is addictive I find. Wonderful crochet and cross stitching too. I keep things in tins too. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Hanne said...

Very well done on your projects :-)

Lianne makes stuff said...

I always say that work gets in the way of like but you have seemed to struck a balance, Your hexies look so colourful in their tin and you have been busy with your scraps I am so so sorry about your cat.

Chookyblue...... said...

hmmm so are you going to go back to the old job with the afternoon shifts???
I think you still did well and got some things done...........good to see Floral lanterns is on the go.........