Thursday 9 September 2021

Aquisitions.

Some time ago, I purchased this 'add a quarter inch ruler'. I came across someone using one on youtube while doing foundation paper piecing.  
I bought one right away and stashed it away in a safe place, until the day I would eventually start my Seaswept project.
And here it is in use. Sew much easier than balancing a ruler on top of a bunch of fabrics and hoping nothing moves.
It really does make trimming my blocks so much easier, especially when dealing with all those points.
Another acquisition older I have found useful in making my first few blocks has been my light box. It is fantastic for helping me to align the next fabric piece with the next sewing line.
And finally, a more recent acquisition.
The courier called yesterday and left a package in my porch.
I ordered this stuff nearly eight weeks ago! The book was in stock, but they were waiting for the papers. And then the whole country went into lockdown.
It's a little hard to see, but the book is another by Edyta Sitar, Little Handfuls of Scraps.
Lot's of little doll and cot quilts all made using scraps. There are several squirrels in this book, but being little, they are much easier to control than the last squirrel that Edyta sent my way. I should be able to resist the urge. 
So what have I been doing?
Masks.
There is a poster on the wall at work, all about mask fatigue. It gives lots of good advice about taking deep breaths and having regular breaks in places where you can remove your mask and breath normally. But as I said to Janice the other day, I have a different kind of mask fatigue. I'm tired of making them. But people keep asking, so I keep saying yes. I should take it as a compliment, another staff member has been making masks too, and most people who have purchased one of hers, have talked to the people who have purchased mine, and then sought me out and asked for one of mine!  The feedback I've had is plentiful.
They're prettier.
The bloke ones are blokey.
They are fun.
They are more comfortable to wear.
You can add a filter.
You can add a spacer.
So I guess I'll keep making them for a while longer. It is still mandatory to wear a mask indoors here in NZ. All shops, showrooms, waiting rooms, places of work, everywhere you go you must wear a mask.
Though they do not take long to make, they do slow me down on the sewing I really want to do.
I only made one Seaswept block yesterday and probably won't have time to make any today.
I have started my Christmas Ornament and hope to get the next stage of that completed before work today.  After I make six masks, all plain black, for husbands of colleagues. 
But first I better make some lunch for Tony, he will be home looking for it soon. 

11 comments:

kiwikid said...

Very nice mail delivery, that add a quarter is useful, I have one too. Well done on the masks, I think we will be wearing them for a long time to come.

Janice said...

I bought the add a quarter ruler when working on Splendid Sampler 2. Oh really does help, as does the light box. Having the right tools does make a difference. I understand your mask fatigue, Ning if is nice that they are appreciated.

ButterZ said...

You are doing well Lou. I love my add a quarter

Maria said...

They all look Ike helpful tools you are using for Seaswept.
Nice mail and a great book with little squirrels 🐿 to tempt you..
Happy mask making 😉

Chookyblue...... said...

Love my ad a quarter ruler...... Makes it so easy....I didn't realise sea swept was FPP.
Hope they don't ask for more masks.....

Chookyblue...... said...

So pleased those papers finally arrived..... Forever and a day later...... Lucky you found those other ones in between......

Kate said...

Looks like you've got some really fun squirrels to break up the face mask sewing. We are back to wearing them at work, so I've made a few more as some of the early ones the elastic has stretched out (it was old elastic, but all I had on hand). Happy stitching and stay well.

Janet O. said...

The light box for helping position fabric is brilliant. I am always awkwardly holding my fabric and paper together and trying to get them in front of my Ottlite to see if they are aligned. Thanks for that tip.
Love that book of Eydta's little quilts.
Oh, my, I hope I don't end up in mask production again. But it must feel good to know people like what you are making.

Julie said...

Your new book looks most interesting. I have been mask making too - I find them really boring & un-inspiring to make & Yes all the males seem to want plain black ones which are even more boring to make & hard to see. Have a great week Lou.

Ondrea said...

Oooo I loooove little quilts. I usually convert the patterns so I can hand piece them. That book is really tempting. Looking forward to seeing it started.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Hi Lou, I love my quater inch ruler too. Don't stop making masks as long as you are able to give them to people. Over here we have to wear surgical mask, no more pretty self made ones.